Exhaust Systems...

HappyCarGuy

Hello gents!

Just thought I would share my experiences with my exhaust system.

First of all: I have a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder, SE, with VG30E. I installed PaceSetter headers roughly 6 months after I purchased the "Patty." Let me just say that Pace Setter headers are pathetic. In the design, they failed to account for a bolt that was protruding from the rear of the driver side head. I checked the system over and over before I actually realized that bolt was causing a gap/exhaust leak. What should have been a 2 hour job, ended up becoming a 2 week job that ended with me taking the vehicle to a shop to have it welded to account for incorrect design. In short, I don't like PaceSetter. ;)

After getting the headers to fit, my exhaust system experienced some other "changes" (oh to be young and stupid, again! ;))

The first system that I installed:

True dual exhaust, high flo cats (I don't think they even were actual cats, to be honest), and Glass pack mufflers. The exhaust was cut off before the rear axle. This exhaust system was fun (what's more enjoyable than taking to the streets and being louder than rice burners!?), but good heavens it was loud. Around 4,000 RPMs, it would wrap out and would be louder than a semi's engine brakes (yes, I was one of 'those' guys). I took the O2 sensor off, and relied on the default intake and injection systems.

This might come as a surprise, but I was pulled over for 'too loud of exhaust.'

The second exhaust I installed consisted of the same piping, cats, just with Walker Quietflow mufflers. These were compliant with the sound restrictions, but they sounded like hell had broken open (and not in a good way).

The third exhaust system I installed consisted of the original system: Y pipes to the cat, then back to muffler. I had to cut apart the old exhaust to take it out, originally; so welding was in place to put it back on. I felt a little frisky again, so I re-welded one Thrush Glasspack muffler in, instead of stock muffler. It was relitively simple job, but a pipe bending machine was needed.

After I installed everything, it sounded mean, but it would cut out (it would almost die) when cold. I talked to quite a few people, and they all said different things - some said it was high restriction in the cat, some said that it was O2 sensor, some said something was malfunctioning in the engine, etc.

I know this is a long read, so I will get down to the point. haha

I replaced the O2 sensor, and it never had an issue, again. I had to reset the ECU to get the check engine light to go off (that was a relitively easy job). If you have trouble with your pathfinder dying (intermittent 'bogging down' and a rich burn), I would recommend looking at the O2 sensor. It can really screw with your fuel pulses and intake systems. I bought a new O2 sensor from o'reilly for $60, and it solved my issues.

For you youngin's who are wanting that loud exhaust system, be sure that you do it right. It can cost you a lot of money and time later on down the road if you don't do it properly. You might also have to pay the local courts a few visits. ;) My recommendation: don't attempt to tinker with exhaust without doing a LOT of research beforehand.

Thanks for the detailed description, and sorry for all the headache.

I'll add a few observations myself if you don't mind. The stock exhaust is anywhere from 1.75-2.0" by my measurements and the motor is only 3 liters. The most restrictive parts are the manifolds and perhaps the stock cat, but not as much as people think. Upgrading to headers and a larger cat and piping is a good idea and will give you some power gains, but there is no need to put on huge piping. 2.5" is probably the max diameter desired, that large or larger won't gain you anything and might just reduce low end power.

Also, just removing the cat and not upgrading the manifolds is not only irresponsible, but won't really net much either. If you don't have the desire or coin to upgrade the entire system, a good cat back system can be purchased (Gibson or Borla IIRC) and will be the best bang for your buck.

I've driven a stock WD21, one with a magnaflow cat back, one with a cat back dual tip and my current with Thorley headers, Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster Delta 60 muffler. My current has the most power and throttle response (by a noticable margin) but is loud and raspy over 3000-3500rpm, the dual tip didn't seem to help with power but sound funny to me and the Magnaflow cat back sounded the best with modest performance gains.

Part of what has to be considered is what do you use the truck for, what can you spend, what do you hope to achieve and how do you want it to sound. No matter what you do, you won't get 20hp or make it sound like a V8...

B

• Like 1

I doubt there would be enough room for the resonator. The glass pack muffler is longer (by a few inches) than the stock. You would have to compress the system quite a bit to fit a resonator (depending on the length of the resonator), and at that point, you would be skewing the angles and degree of bends. I welded the glass pack almost 3" further forward than stock, yet I still had to cut the "up" pipe that goes over the rear axle and splice into that. If you'd like, I can post pictures (but I will not be able to post until later tonight or tomorrow). If you are interested in using a cat, resonator, and glasspack, I'd suggest custom fab. There's space on the pipe around the O2 sensor that you could potentially eliminate to compress everything.

I'll add a few observations myself if you don't mind. The stock exhaust is anywhere from 1.75-2.0" by my measurements and the motor is only 3 liters. The most restrictive parts are the manifolds and perhaps the stock cat, but not as much as people think. Upgrading to headers and a larger cat and piping is a good idea and will give you some power gains, but there is no need to put on huge piping. 2.5" is probably the max diameter desired, that large or larger won't gain you anything and might just reduce low end power.

Also, just removing the cat and not upgrading the manifolds is not only irresponsible, but won't really net much either. If you don't have the desire or coin to upgrade the entire system, a good cat back system can be purchased (Gibson or Borla IIRC) and will be the best bang for your buck.

I've driven a stock WD21, one with a magnaflow cat back, one with a cat back dual tip and my current with Thorley headers, Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster Delta 60 muffler. My current has the most power and throttle response (by a noticable margin) but is loud and raspy over 3000-3500rpm, the dual tip didn't seem to help with power but sound funny to me and the Magnaflow cat back sounded the best with modest performance gains.

Part of what has to be considered is what do you use the truck for, what can you spend, what do you hope to achieve and how do you want it to sound. No matter what you do, you won't get 20hp or make it sound like a V8...

B

I fully agree with that. I would say use the same diameter pipe when it comes to the single exhaust. I really don't feel like the stock diameter restricts the flow. As for the dual exhaust, I used 2-2.25" pipes, and I think I actually lost efficiency. I also agree with the upgrades to the manifold. From what I've found, these models sometimes have issues with manifolds cracking and the studs snapping (when I installed headers, I had to pull and re-tap 3 or 4 of the studs) with the stock manifolds. Might as well upgrade if you're going to go to all the trouble!

• 2 months later...

I cut out my muffler last night due to the fact that some of the metal was coming apart. I am also taking out my cat as it seems to be getting plugged up. Cat is still in but coming out this morning. Moved the truck back to it's parking spot without the muffler. Man, it's much louder and @!*%tier sounding. My 8 yo thought it was cool thoough :rolleyes: . Plan on getting a glasspack (or something) for now until I can get it all replaced, prolly pacesetter and gibson catback with a new cat.

Let's see if this will work, Here is my old 87 hardbody, V6 Automatic, in 2 wheel drive, running 2.25 inch SS pipe from the cat test pipe back with a Borla SS muffler and Borla intercooled SS tip, posting just so you can hear what it sounds like, I think it sounded pretty good,

I originally had a Flowmaster on it, way back one of the very first one's they put out but the body of the muffler cracked, than I had a Supertrapp on it, pain in the butt to adjust, so I went to the Borla which was still on it in perfect condition when I got rid of the truck:

Edited by ahardb0dy

Kids are fed so now it's time to go work on the Pathy. That sounded pretty good ahardb0dy. I'm not really expecting much from the glasspack but need something to get me by for a while.

i welded the exhaust together today. I got a 25" Thrush (Cherry Bomb) glass pack with 2.25 ID inlet and outlet with some 2.125" exhaust pipe and adapters to make it work. I test fit everything and then welded it all together with a stick welder. My welding skills leave a lot to be desired (3rd time welding). It worked though. I tack welded it into place and drove to Big Time 4x4 (friends shop down the road) and had them finish welding the new to the old. My skills weren't good enuff for that with a stick welder. It has a good tone and a drone. Above 3.5k RPM it gets LOUD. Not what I want but it will do until I can put in my VG33 I have and install a new full exhaust.

I built my exhaust system from scratch on my vg33 swapped 1993 path. I used obx headers with 2" exits, the y pipe I built transitions from the dual 2" pipes to 2.5" at the collector. From there its 2.5" all the way back using a weld in magnaflow cat and flowmaster muffler and the pipe exits in front of the rear wheel. It's loud for sure but really throaty. Low grumble down low and screams up high. I built the whole system including headers, wrap, paint, cat, muffler and pipe for around 280$. I can get a running vid up if interested in how it sounds.

• Like 3

$280 is cheaper than the Gibson catback. Was wondering how it would be to just build my own system. I would be interested in hearing it. Want something with a deep growl but mellow. Was looking at doing a pacesetter header unless I could find an OBX. Thorley would be good but I am not spending $500 on a header...especially going into sequestration and furlough days.

I'll try and get some pictures of my setup today. I'm running a flowmaster 40 but If you wanted it quieter you could switch to a flowmaster 50 series . It would make the system a lot more 'friendly'. Lol. Still great low end sound but the 50 is quieter up top. I do plan on switching to it but not until the 40 rots.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just ordered a new 222 Series flowmaster catalytic converter. My dad's current weld-job didn't hold up all that well, so I think I'm going to take this project on myself and make it sound nice. :FartExplode-vi:

Just from my experience, the catalytic converter contributes the most to the sound and the efficiency. I have 2 Thrush Glass pack mufflers (identical - from my stupid dual design. haha). One is welded up to the stock cat., the other to an aftermarket high-flo cat. The difference of these 2 systems is crazy. The stock is mellower, but not as efficient.

I'll let you all know how the 222 and Glasspack sound!

B

think im going with the thorley headers too. i just need some more power, any power at all, the pathy doesn't like to turn 33s but likes it better than 35s lol

Glasspack and 222 sounds boss. I love the sound. It's not the 'raw' exhaust sound. I miss the other system's sound, but at the same time, I love this sound. At least I know that I'm not going to get pulled over for loud exhaust (again) and I know it will pass emissions. I would definitely recommend 222 series and Thrush glasspack. I'll post pictures when I can!

What's the price? Or will I be scared?

Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System for WD21

Production dates 08/89-10/95 (90-95 model years)

50 State Legal.

1 Million Mile Manufacturers Limited Warranty

2 inch diameter, 3 inch tip.

$415.00 (MSRP $515.00)

+ ship insured (about $20 give or take)

(compare that to $375 for a new stock muffler.)

They have two in stock.