A Tail of Two Sisters - Build Photos and Videos

Good Job man it looks narrley! I'm not a big paint guy (usually paint it black and call it done) but I'm really impressed on how it turned out! Excellent, I hope it's not out of line of me to say that the front bumper seems a bit naked... Especially in your 3rd picture... Unless I'm missing something

I'll be adding a winch to it at some point and maybe some tubing to protect it.

Cleaned up really nice. BTW I would have has some nice pin striping from the trees if this was paint. Keep in mind this it's only been 15 days since I did my truck in this stuff.

monstaliner-clean.jpg

I did have some damage to the Monstaliner finish on my front bumper but that was from using my bumper as a skid plate to push myself up onto a rock lol. Nothing that a repair kit won't fix right up. I've done this type of damage to the Dupli-Color bed armor that was on there. I don't expect any product to take that kind of abuse.

Awesome job!! Not only on the paint and body, but the fact that you took her out just days later. Gotta get some tint on those windows though...keep the dark theme going. Kudos!!

No tint for her. NY has some really fskced up tint laws plus I kind of like being able to see clearly through my windows without the tint.

However thank you. It's a true testament to how good this stuff is. I'd have junked a brand new (normal) paint job doing that. I honestly was a little worried but the owner of Monstaliner thought it would be fine so I said fskc it lol. Hopefully I'll have all the vinyl graphic on her toward the end of next week. We had some issues getting in the red vinyl we ordered.

• Like 1

yea that looks great!! lol and i feel you on the tint thing, my pathy came with ALL the windows tinted, thats including the windshield. and i like tinted windows as much as the next person, but now im always on the look out for cops cause in California you cant have your front door windows or the windsheild tinted and i have both now lol. and maybe some LED lights wuold look sweet on the front. This guy does some really nice lights and they are actually pretty decently priced.

http://sidetrackedoffroad.com/

I believe that guy builds them and sells them. All in house so he is able to keep the cost down on them. Im just waiting till I get some more $$$ to order mine but my buddy has them and loves them. Ive checked them out and talked to the owner and it was enough that in the next couple months, Im going to drop a few hundo on lights

• Like 1

2 gallon kit for the black and I used every drop and I did my bumpers and rock sliders too. That gave me two coats. 1 gallon kit for the white but I didn't use it all. One quart for the red and I didn't use it all. Once you mix it you need to use it. Whatever you don't use is wasted. If you expect to waste some it might be a good idea to find a small project to use the wasted material on and have it ready to go just in case you have extra.

One quart of chassis saver but I ran out. Should have used two quarts for proper coverage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Picking this up tomorrow! D44 out of an early Bronco. Looks like I'll be running Bronco radius arms. If I don't like them I'll upgrade to a 3 link later on down the road. I'll be wristing one of the arms to allow for more flex.

I need some Chevy 6 lug D44 flat top knuckles, brakes, and spindles as soon as I can muster up the money to pay for them. lol

sas-1.jpg

Yes I got everything including the radius arm frame mounts. The only think I didn't get was the spring mounts on the frame. He was going to give them to me but I didn't want them. The springs are most likely useless but they did come with it. All for $200. All the steering will be replaced and like I said the knuckles out will be replaced. I was going to run high steer but I think I've changed my mind. Right now it looks like I'll just be flipping the steering to the top side of the knuckles to give it a couple extra inches of clearance without all the cost of high steer.

Man that's a steal! Good find. I think I might follow you, I am going to be doing an sas to my hardbody and I know I'm going to have a lot of questions, this might help me out a great deal, personally I am going to run hydro steering, I know it's going to cost a pretty penny but for the direction I want to go in, it will help in the long run. Looking forward to seeing this come together!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Ok so it's time to build a new roof rack for the 91. I've been working on the design for a couple days now and i think I'm happy with it. Let me know what you guys think. In the picture below it has a red frame. That won't be the case when it's done. It will be all black. The red frame makes it easier to see the details in the drawing. The two rear panels will hold some sort of flush mounting lights. Not sure what just yet. I want something clear so I can have extra back up lights for those dark trails when I need to back up. LED of course. Something cheap though. As cheap as possible.

The floor of the rack will be expanded metal so that whatever I put up there has a nice surface to sit flat on. This also means I need to make the rack hinged so I can lift up one side and clean under it. I'll be working on the foot design tomorrow. I'll also be ordering my metal tomorrow. Hopefully this snow melts a little so I can get the metal into my shop.

The light bar won't be here for a little while so I won't be painting this until it get's here. I'll most likely have to build some custom mounts for it. The factory mounts are too tall. I'm trying to keep this as low profile as possible.

It measures 70"x48"x4" without the feet. I'll be using 7/8" 16 gauge steel tubing and 16 gauge sheet for the panels.

What do you guys think?

Image2.jpg

looks good. I like the rear mounted backup lights. I'll be doing some thing similar with my rack as soon as it's warm enough to work outside. I was looking at marine grade lights as they are waterproof and built quite well. sturdy mounts and such. they were a flood type. about $75 ea.

This is the unit that ended up on top of our Xterra. Looking back I am glad we made the cross bars 1 1/8. It is the size Yakima uses, thus all their attachments will work...

The middle cross bars fit in the dimple died holes along the side and can be moved back and forth as needed (The very top of the Xterra type slots are also dimple died for the tubes). Trying to be as low profile as possible, the holes are the correct height that the cross members (with an attachment clamped on) just miss the arch of the roof as they go across.

My 87 will have something similar.. the bottom profile will be made more for our Pathy roof lines..

The hooks on a normal ratchet strap are kinda small and have problems fitting around a tube. The more anchor points made to work with these type straps the better.

Maybe it will give you a few more ideas... I like the unit you have thought up! Works well with the light bar.

20131001_135831_WAtlanticAveSmall_zps610

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the original "Calmini" rack that was on top. The lights and rack sucked 2-3 MPG out of the rig.

The Rack was from Alpine Spirit's rig..

20130904_143700_WAtlanticAve_8_bestshot_

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new rack on the rig... Back to 17-18 mpg... that is change from $215 to $170 per thousand miles at 3 bucks a gallon. I liked the lights.. but not that much.

84d70d59-a9db-485f-97ed-0e09aaa01383_zps

Edited by GrandpaX

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I still haven't start on this. I have basically everything I need but have a few jobs I need to get out of the way before I start on this. With that being said I got my LED bar in. This is actually my own LED bar. I'm going to start selling them. I've been researching this for awhile now and finally found a manufacture over seas that builds a top quality bar that I'd be proud to sell. Anyway that's a whole different topic. When I'm ready to go public with these I'll talk with the admins about marketing and setting up club discounts and group buys. But for now back to the subject at hand.

I'm mounting a single row 200W bar with 17120 lumens to it. This thing is crazy bright. Here is a picture to show you the difference between the stock headlights and the LED bar. I was shooting with a digital SLR on full manual so that the differences in the pictures were as accurate as possible. Please keep in mind camera sensor don't deal with light like the human eye does. My stock headlights look really dim because I didn't want the LED bar to blow out my picture and be completely white lol. The high beams look dimmer than the lows because they are spreading the light out farther. You can see farther with your eyes but the brightness isn't enough for the camera to see that. However those details don't matter because the difference between them and the LED bar is like the sun rising after a long dark night lol.

40inch-compare.jpg

For the backup lights I turned to Amazon and found some cheap stick on COB LED lights for around $14/pair. Because I need to keep this roof rack as low profile as possible the size of backup lights that I used was very important. I couldn't find anything that would work for a reasonable price until I ran into these. All the reviews said these were really bright but for $14 I was a little skeptical. So I bought two pair. These will fit perfectly on the roof racks rear light panels and are water proof. I'll stack one on top of the other on both panels for a total of 4 lights back there. I did a video unboxing a review of the light that you'll see below but after I did this video I turned these lights on at night in my bed room and damn near went blind lol. They are much brighter than I though. These will do really well on the trail for backup lights.

Here is a link to where you can find these on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1YI2XA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00C1YI2XA&linkCode=as2&tag=alvmetwor-20

And here is the video I told you about.

If you want to read my long winded written review of these backup lights check out this link:
http://alvarezmetalworks.com/?p=522