High Rev's?

Bubbley11

I recently heard of some other pathfinder owners, that they rev at 2500-4000 on the freeway going 70mph. Well im at 60 or 70 im any where between 3700-4200. I am wondering if it is normal. :shrug: The car is a 1990 XE which is still stock.

I don't know of any that run at 3500+ at 70 mph, that seems a bit high.

What motor do you have?

What gearing do you have? (plaque on the passenger side fender under the hood will say either HG43 or HG46)

What sized tires do you have?

What size does it say on the driver door sticker?

B

is your truck manual? it may have been manual swapped at some point and still have the original 4.63 auto gears or maybe it came with 4.63s with the manual because of some offroad package or something? stock size tires with 4.63 gears and a MT would probably account for those revs? what does the door jam sticker day? should be HG43 or HG46

Nope, it was a grocery getter from some old folks before me. They said it was all stock, and i had it at my buds, he used to work at nissan, he didn't know either. i have the vg30e, stock sized 28 inch tires moving to 31's soon. It is a stick, five speed. For gears i shift at 7, 15, 30, 45 mph. Would the manual say anything? ve read through it but saw nothing? ive had it for 6 months and have considered throwing in a new fifth gear to bump it to ~3300 at 70.

Edited by Bubbley11

Well, those are the taller gears...

stock sized 28 inch tires

Well, there is part of the problem. 99% of pathfinders came with 235/75/15 (29") or 31"x10.5 tires. I'm guessing that a simple tire size change is what you need.

What size tires do you have on the vehicle, and what size does the door sticker say?

B

the tire is a 235/75r15 but worn to a little over 28 inch. stock tire is 235/75r15 on the door sticker

Ok, yes, that works out and makes sense. The next question is: is the speedo accurate.

I find my gas mileage goes down once I get over 3200-3300 (and that is plenty fast in mine), but it shouldn't hurt the motor at all. If the speedo checks out, then I'd probably just go with larger tires, 30" or 31" when you replace the old ones.

B

I will be getting 31 soon hopefully. It is weird im the second owner, all stock, right tire for it(want to get bigger offroad instead of my highway's), but it still is high to the point im concerned. Maybe i have a special edition :jig:

I will be getting 31 soon hopefully. It is weird im the second owner, all stock, right tire for it(want to get bigger offroad instead of my highway's), but it still is high to the point im concerned. Maybe i have a special edition :jig:

Maybe they towed with it or just never went over 60. :shrug:

There was a special addition; they had a few plaques on it announcing this, but didn't have anything different other than that. :lol:

B

• 3 weeks later...

So after some thinking and some testing, I still havent found anything. I took the rock sliders and brush guard off and that brought it to 3500 rpm's. I took a look at the factory starting size of tire and it say's 215's, i thought stock was 235?

Yeah my 1995 XE with the 5speed runs around 3400-3500 rpms at 70-73 mph. I think I figured out mine has 4.57 gears in the rear end? does that sound right? Mine has the sport package with the limited slip so not sure if that makes the gearing shorter.

yeah I'd say that you are a little high, however with mine, the tires are stock 235's but my speedo is still 4-5mph to slow at 70 mph. So depending on the accuracy, I might actually be spinning a little lower rpms for the speed (if i'm actually going 75 when i'm going 70).

One thing is check the tire pressure too. Mine was more than 5 mph slow and seemed like the rpms were worse, and then I found out that at his last rotation Costco inflated the tires to the max psi on the tire. I brought it down to 30 psi and that helped some.

Edited by TahoeRunner