Custom Skids on a SFD

Rick13

Well, I wasn't sure I was going to post up, but I made so much progress last Saturday that I thought it'd be good enough to start a thread and gauge for interest.

I've been toying around with making my own skid plates for the SFD/lifted R50 for about 4 months now. I've taken measurements on distances, angles, pre-tapped bolt hole locations, bolt diameters...and mocked up a front skid (with cardboard) that extended from just under the radiator to my Jackson Auto "Missing Link".

After some careful consideration, I decided to try to partially build this myself with the help of a friend of mine that has made his own bumper, tire carrier, sliders, and skids. I ended up being a sorcerer's apprentice, but I did end up doing the majority of chop saw, metal cleanup, cut-off wheel, wire wheel, and even welded the new crossmember just posterior of the TX. It was actually a kick getting to see a vision and experiment become something tangible.

Below is what it looks like currently (only a couple of photos, cause we were REALLY busy), but all that really needs to be done from here is drill some holes in the belly/mid skids and then paint and mount.

Here you go...

Modifying the JA Missing Link (trying to keep the angles as tight to the driveshaft/differential as possible (with some room to breath/flex) to retain as much ground clearance as possible:

2013-02-16_12-15-24_105.jpg

The new mounting point for the front/mid skids...we call it the "Yeti" (that's a joke for changing the Missing Link and for Denverites referencing Great Divide Brewing Company's Imperial Stout):

2013-02-17_15-51-53_284.jpg

And finally, with the belly skid in position (this was taken about 2 hours before we stopped working for the day). Hey, but at least you can see a couple of my welds (between the 1" square tubing). We decided to notch it for exhaust clearance (my friend capped/plated it):

2013-02-16_15-10-24_897.jpg

If there is enough interest, I'll post the final product pictures in a couple weeks (which is the next time I'll have time off work to finish this up).

Thanks and I was just making sure folks wanted to see this before assuming too much.

When I go to mount them I'll take pictures of them off the vehicle and then after mounting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, spent another 2 hours getting some more work done. Brought them home and painted then mounted them.

I'll probably have to remove and take better photos some time, but was too excited after the paint dried so I threw them on quick like.

Belly Skid:

2013-03-01_16-16-04_493.jpg

Front Skid:

2013-03-01_19-20-56_741.jpg

Mid and Belly:

2013-03-01_19-20-25_24.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, 12 hours of my life and $185 worth of steel, so I'm pretty happy.

All sections are 3/16" steel but are easily mounted and removed by one person. I am wondering if it will stiffen the feel and give some added support to the front suspension. Also curious about how the extra weight will affect my ride (hopefully soften it up front). I like the thought of a little more aerodynamics also (not sure how much, if at all, it would help that though).

Seriously, can't wait to test them out this summer.