spark plug issues

bushnut

I'd put a bit of oil down around the plug, or even some penetrating lubricant like PB Blaster, and let it soak for a bit. When I swapped my friends plugs a few months ago, #6 was stuck like that. I put a bit of PB Blaster and just went real slowwwwww. Luckily it came out. It was a OEM plug (all the others were Bosch or something) and I'm guessing it had never been changed in its life. There was electrode, and it was a way bigger gap than either of my spark plug gappers could read.

You can make out number 6 if you look through the upper plenum, it helped me a bit to see it when I put the plug socket on it, and to put the plug back in. On the WD21's there is actually a little notch in a pinch weld on the firewall, thats there for removing that plug I assume. Not sure if the R50 is the same. If you use an extension with a swivel/u joint, the plug is actually pretty easy to deal with.

Check and see under your back seat for the Nissan provided tools, some of its for spare tire replacement, but three of the tools are for spark plug changing.

these saved my butt when i went to change the spark plugs on my car, ESPECIALLY number 6

But this photo i took of me doing my knock sensor change might help to give you a visual of how hidden spark 6 is.

8305596371_0144152ede_c.jpg
So this is taken right about where the harness would sit coming from the firewall (firewall is on the top left, front of the engine and car is going towards the bottom right), so pretty much reach down and its the only thing back there with a stud (So putting the boot back on it much easier) and the ONLY upward facing socket headed anything larger than 14MM
But like i said, having the Nissan tools MAKES A WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE for this job.
-Kyle
EDIT: as far as getting them out, trodgor is right on the money, a small amount of PB at just the right angle and given time to soak, will be just the ticket. if not, start P...
(Kidding, please don't do that)
Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

We pulled the hood and used a mirror on a magnet to get at #6, made life much easier.

Same deal as mentioned above, OEM plug, never been changed in 11 years, it was burned down to almost nothing.

• 4 months later...

I too was able to use an extender + swivel to reach #6 too

Unfortunately - when I installed the new plug, the extender separated from the socket.

That became one helluva fishing expedition - my family had to leave the house to escape the carnage.

Some extra long needlenose pliers from Ace Hardware, and my sanity was restored.

Check and see under your back seat for the Nissan provided tools, some of its for spare tire replacement, but three of the tools are for spark plug changing.

these saved my butt when i went to change the spark plugs on my car, ESPECIALLY number 6

But this photo i took of me doing my knock sensor change might help to give you a visual of how hidden spark 6 is.

8305596371_0144152ede_c.jpg
So this is taken right about where the harness would sit coming from the firewall (firewall is on the top left, front of the engine and car is going towards the bottom right), so pretty much reach down and its the only thing back there with a stud (So putting the boot back on it much easier) and the ONLY upward facing socket headed anything larger than 14MM
But like i said, having the Nissan tools MAKES A WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE for this job.
-Kyle
EDIT: as far as getting them out, trodgor is right on the money, a small amount of PB at just the right angle and given time to soak, will be just the ticket. if not, start P...
(Kidding, please don't do that)

:lol: - For the first few minutes, lookinga t your photo, I couldn't find the plug... :headwall: I guess I was looking for a hole...then, after a few frustrating minutes, found the plug...

Just goes to show how difficult it really is to find... :shrug:

• 1 year later...

Great info! - I gotta do this soon - it's feeling sluggish when pressing the loud pedal - what plugs did U install? Anything I shud know about getting the wires off?..besides giving them a twist 1st? Do I need to get the special needle nose pliers for plug wires? Prolly shud change wires too - I'm almost at 300,000 km. Any suggestion on those? Where to get 'em cost? etc?

Cheers!

Did plugs on my 01, not bad, just had to remove the throttle body to get to #4, used NGK Iridium. Just did the 96, NGK V Power plugs, NGK wires, Beck Arnley cap and rotor, #6 was a little tricky, runs like an animal (well for a 3.3 anyway) now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhh, the good ol number 6. I remember him. was probably original plug in mine as well, changed it while i was doing the valve cover gaskets, and again while i had the heads off the next year, figured why not. But i can in fact see how it would make fetal position weepage. =(

Pat