A little rant about NPORA and what I think about it

Tungsten

This may get locked in the near future but I felt like posting this anyway so it's away from all the other threads. I know what some admins are going to think about this. Look at this guy finally not screwing up any other threads with his bs. Well I have things to say about that... Of course I will try to post this rant in such a way that it does not violate any forum guidelines because I did accept an agreement when I signed up.

First off let me start with the good. NPORA is a great forum to turn to for information about how Pathfinders work and a great place for some amazing photos that have a story to tell. Just look no further than Truck of the Month and Truck of the Year. I even got to meet some cool people on here, make some friends, and actually see some of them in real life by driving to their house. It may sound kind of controversial since you know what's in the news about meeting strangers but I never had a problem and pretty much liked everyone that I met with.

Every so often I visit NPORA either for some information or to share some new and interesting information. Just look at all my modding threads I have started. I don't do this because I have no life. I do have a life outside of NPORA, I don't just sit on here all day. In fact, I don't even like staring at glowing rectangles all day long such as computer monitors, smart phones, and tablets. I don't want to destroy my eye sight doing so. Anyway, I go on here because I want to see what people are doing to their trucks and share some of what I'm doing. That also includes repairs and maintenance.

Now for the bad and the ugly. While I try to be clear and concise and accurate about what I post, every once in a while I may post some wrong information because I interpreted something in a wrong way. I connected the dots so to speak but there was one dot missing and now all the information I posted is wrong. Most of the time the wrong information may come from what I read in other online sources. It's the Internet after all right? Or it comes from me not properly doing something because I didn't read one step properly or missed it. Or maybe I came to the wrong conclusion...

Point is mistakes can happen. No one is perfect and no one knows absolutely everything. People learn from experience and sometimes a part of that experience is making mistakes and having them corrected. Which brings me to my actual issue. Some people on this board, including administrators who know who they are, take everything I post way too personally. I just come on here to have a discussion about things and not to fight about who is a bigger idiot or who has a longer or lower gauge extension cord. This is not YouTube for crying out loud, it's a forum. Forums are always filled with actual discussions and not people that like to play a game of insulting each other. That's what the PoHo section is for...

What I'm trying to say is I just like to add to a discussion. I'm not here to insult someones mother. If my addition is good people just seem to go along, which is fine. However, if I make one small mistake an entire colony of sharks gets sent after me. I get called out for being an idiot and being a turd that doesn't go away. Thanks guys, really appreciate the compliments there...

Nothing I post is personal and I try not to be personal even though sometimes people can really provoke me to fight back and be angry. Stop it, I don't want to do this. If I don't like something or post something negative it doesn't mean that I'm calling the person responsible for it an idiot. It's just my opinion and that's all. That doesn't mean people have to agree with my opinion. Also, if there is something wrong with what I post, there is no need to get off on a tangent. All people really need to tell me is that this bit of information is incorrect and maybe try to state some reasoning. I will follow up and say something like: "nevermind that was wrong" or maybe ask some more questions as to why it's incorrect.

Finally, to conclude this rant, I want to explain why sometimes some of my messages can be so called angry sounding, which is what I have been getting from some members. The problem is that on the Internet it is hard to interpret a tone of voice. Nobody speaks, they just type. I didn't drop out of grammar school. I was taught to write in complete sentences and try to avoid grammatical and spelling errors. At the same time I try to be clear, concise, and to the point. Meaning that I like to get my point across in as little amount of wording and sentencing as possible. So like I said, I'm not here to pick fights, I'm just here to discuss things and state an opinion every once in a while.

If you made it all the way down here and were actually interested in what I had to say, here is a coffee: :coffee:

• Like 3

First, your wrong... I'm a mod not an admin :lol:

I know this is partially directed at me as I am generally one of the ones who does butt heads with you but you have to look at it from my shoes as well (not as a mod, just as another person). When you DO post something incorrectly and it's pointed out to you, you insist without any backup on how right you are and everyone with any form of backup to the opposite is wrong because it's not what you said. Once you would eventually do more research you would delete and edit all your posts to be full of the new info you found instead of admitting the discrepancy making all those trying to inform you (and whatever the original issue was) look as though they were driving a point home to nobody. Opinions would be constantly thrown out as though they were facts instead of being openly admitted as opinions or "I think" instead of just blunt and everyone who thinks differently is an idiot replies. It got old and think if YOU were one of those on the other end of some of your comments regularly. Remember adding to a conversation and being an actual part of it are 2 separate things. Do I get testy sometimes and over involve myself? Yup, and I'll happily openly admit it, same as if I'm wrong on something. I like being proven wrong honestly if truly proven. Means people are using their heads, researching, and verifying things. Can I respect an opinion as well? Completely, and I expect people to have different ones. Keeps the world interesting! Just don't push your opinion as the only way. When you DO put good info out, it is welcomed with open arms as you even said yourself, you will put research into it (Take your headlight upgrades, you see me in that thread busting stones? I just want to see long term results :aok: ).

PoHo ain't for throwing insults at each other, it's for having fun and letting the mind relax a little with some friends, and for as much as you post stuff on facebook you probably shouldn't talk about people who stare at screens online a lot (yes that's a joke made from an easy observation made by opening a second window on my screen)

I have no personal vendetta against you but just as I'm sure I have a reputation that varies from person to person here, I'm the one who caused it. Face to face I am the same person though as I am on a keyboard, I talk from experience and research and will credit who I got info from (good or bad) am glad to share what I do know and glad to learn what I don't know.

And I DID read the whole thing so next rounds on me :coffee:

• Like 2

eusa_hand.gif In my time here on NPORA I have formed many opinions about most of the regular posters on here. I love visiting this place three, four, seventeen (on weekends) times a day. I come here for ideas, mechanical knowledge, and just to post pointless smilies to generate a laugh "here and there". The only Pathfinder knowledge that I can pass on to other members are based off of the woe's that I've had to deal with. I never have claimed to be a mechanic and I hopefully never will.

By the way, I love it when we get the occasional clever introduction from new members and hate to see the older ones post the dreaded "sold my Pathy" threads. NPORA has changed a lot over my short couple of years here and I can only imagine how much it has changed for all of the active members from almost a decade before. I was kind of caught off guard when I had some members post their blessings on my birthday. It's almost getting to the point that I'll have to be kicked out of here to get me to leave. eusa_shifty.gif

I guess you guys could just call me passive as I do not divulge into drama. When the threads start to get to be too much like a bad soap opera I simply "change the channel". As for the deletion of the "edit post" option .. I usually find myself wondering, "why do I post drunk!"

About the use of smilies; I use them when I'm not sure of a recommendation or opinion. This way you guys can judge my "tone of voice" instead of just me violently rapping on my keyboard getting spit all over my computer monitor defending my other car's honor (Nunya waiting.gif).

• Like 3

Guys, Relax. As with anything you post or is posted on the internet you must have thick skin.

If you don't want to post and put yourself out there then don't If you do be prepared for interpretations and knee jerk reactions. Not everyone has the same intelligence/experience level.

remember the only person that can make you angry is yourself. Don't want to be upset and angry then don't be.

Perhaps it isn't what you say it is how you say it.

Can't we all just get along.

Edited by msavides
  • Like 1

Now for the bad and the ugly. While I try to be clear and concise and accurate about what I post, every once in a while I may post some wrong information because I interpreted something in a wrong way. I connected the dots so to speak but there was one dot missing and now all the information I posted is wrong. Most of the time the wrong information may come from what I read in other online sources. It's the Internet after all right? Or it comes from me not properly doing something because I didn't read one step properly or missed it. Or maybe I came to the wrong conclusion...

Point is mistakes can happen. No one is perfect and no one knows absolutely everything. People learn from experience and sometimes a part of that experience is making mistakes and having them corrected. Which brings me to my actual issue. Some people on this board, including administrators who know who they are, take everything I post way too personally. I just come on here to have a discussion about things and not to fight about who is a bigger idiot or who has a longer or lower gauge extension cord. This is not YouTube for crying out loud, it's a forum. Forums are always filled with actual discussions and not people that like to play a game of insulting each other. That's what the PoHo section is for...

What I'm trying to say is I just like to add to a discussion. I'm not here to insult someones mother. If my addition is good people just seem to go along, which is fine. However, if I make one small mistake an entire colony of sharks gets sent after me. I get called out for being an idiot and being a turd that doesn't go away. Thanks guys, really appreciate the compliments there...

Tungsten, this is your typical back pedaling approach, and part of the problem.

This is not about one point that you missed once somewhere which invalidated your information, this is about repeatedly presenting guess work as facts or outright stating misinformation and insisting on it's validity, even when you have no actual experience or knowledge. That is not a discussion, that is the problem and you know it; we've discussed it before privately. Now, publicly, if you insist on posting like an idiot, I will call you on it. It is nothing personal, it is the internet after all, right?

I find it interesting that you would define what the site is for...

NPORA has been around a long time with many different staff and members, but the entire reason for it is to collect and maintain information, give people a place to ask questions with the hope of an accurate response and give people with Pathfinders a place to interact. NPORA is staffed by selected volunteers, get no form of compensation and have generally paid for its costs, with the help of generous members as well. When you obviously post misinformation as fact you defeat the first two reasons and affect the third, this is why it will not be allowed.

As you said in a recent post, if you find yourself suitably convinced otherwise, you would go back and edit. This completely disrupts associated posts, thereby confusing the entire thread. This also defeats the first two reasons and affects the third. This will also not be allowed. None of this is onerous; it is that simple. What is the problem?

These things make searching for info much harder, and the #1 source of members is people searching the internet for accurate repair information.

Look around and consider. You are the only person complaining of these things, yet there are many people complaining of what you do. Where do you think the problem comes from? It is more than wording or brevity, it is the entire approach. Can it be more clear?

Around this point, it does become somewhat personal because I too have a life and you have wasted a lot of my time.

I'm not willing to spend too much more on the matter so please, for everyones sake, focus on being a valuable member or simply go elsewhere.

B

• Like 1

Is it possible that when you edit a post without help of a mod/admin that you can ONLY ad onto your post and not edit the content, so for example you could state where you were wrong or what you would want to ad onto that post and if you wanted to actually edit the post than you have to contact a mod/admin. Just a though. :shrug:

That is a good idea, but I don't think the forum software has that detailed of settings. I'll fly it by the Admin though, maybe there is a patch or whatever.

I do understand the edit feature (or lack of long term) can be frustrating, but that's not really the issue here. If you post sensibly and don't spout off with the intent of tidying it up later, it's not really an issue. Not trying to imply anything with you BTW.

Hell, most of the time I edit my own posts when I need to make a correction I strike out the error, not delete, write the new info, check the "show edit" box (default is off) and give a reason like "had that backwards" or whatever the case. Unfortunately, some go much farther than that.

B

• Like 1

Which ones?

B

I was attempting to add humour to the thread, while I thought of a concise and professional response. It didn't work. :lol:

As it turns out, I think you covered the response to Tungsten better than I would have.

Agreed. What up BP? Drivers seat holding up for you? What the hell do you mean?

I was attempting to add humour to the thread, while I thought of a concise and professional response. It didn't work. :lol:

As it turns out, I think you covered the response to Tungsten better than I would have.

I said my peace, my conscience is clean. :shrug:

I like Burnt Umber, taste like BBQ... :D

B

member #16, since 2003... I've seen a lot of people get their panties in a knot but there is no need to cry about it. People make mistakes, people correct your mistakes, people look for the opportunity to jump all over your grammar and spelling, people can be real bitches sometimes but the bottom line is that this 'club' exists as a repository for information and a method of sharing our love/experience with our vehicles. I'm done. My rants are short. Y'all simply amuse me. :popcorn:

• Like 1

This thread bothers me so little, I am not going to post in this thread anymore.

enjoy your bitch fest

I'm not gonna post in hre anymore either!

oh wait.....

damnit!

• Like 1

That is a good idea, but I don't think the forum software has that detailed of settings. I'll fly it by the Admin though, maybe there is a patch or whatever.

I do understand the edit feature (or lack of long term) can be frustrating, but that's not really the issue here. If you post sensibly and don't spout off with the intent of tidying it up later, it's not really an issue. Not trying to imply anything with you BTW.

Hell, most of the time I edit my own posts when I need to make a correction I strike out the error, not delete, write the new info, check the "show edit" box (default is off) and give a reason like "had that backwards" or whatever the case. Unfortunately, some go much farther than that.

B

IM completely behind you on this one, editing after the fact is truly a gift, and while i do miss having it (other than that 5-10 minute window) i find myself simply thinking harder before i post, asking "how is this going to be interpreted , douchy, helpful, funny or pointless?" Its nice for build threads, adding to it later for the sake of organization, but that's what scroll wheel is for,

Most of the time i did edit something, it was for a spelling error or grammatical error.

While i do believe that everyone is imperfect, and mistakes do happen, alot of them can be avoided, it has taken me quite a few years to realize this, after some bad relationships, and huge arguments with good friends or loved family members to realize that it can easily be fixed with a simple check.

I did and still do, from time to time, spout off with no really evidence to support my claim (tungston, not directed at you, i cant personally say I've seen you do that, but we dont hang in the same part of the forum), people started calling me out, you feel pretty stupid afterwards, it was a needed learning experience that boils down the key element of how it makes you feel.

anyway, that's my bit (not really a rant). hopefully it will be a good learning event for all.

-Kyle