What do you do for work.?

stalker

Currently, I turn wrenches at a Toyota/Ford dealer. Until last April, I was a master Infiniti/Nissan tech. Got tired of driving over a hour to work, each way. Now it only takes 15 minutes to get there. First job I was a detailed at a used rv dealer. Amazing what people would bring in to sell, and not clean it. Yuck.

Brothers in arms!

:beer:

Currently, I work in a Volvo and Chrysler restoration shop.
The owner, we call him Smitty, has a problem. He keeps buying old f@#king rusted out Chryslers for me to tear down and part out. In reality, he needs the trim pieces and other things that these cars have to donate to a costumers restoration. This guy is a wizard. He will sweep up a pile of once-was-glorious-dodge-dart rust, and just kinda breathe some hokey-pokey magic on it and *POOF* it's suddenly a 1st place winning show car. He will work on anything actually. Old Packards, Old Nashes, Huptmobiles, a few Edsels, anything that looks cool. The average restoration is $100k. This is the type of restoration where the paint job starts at $20k.

I help him in the process and do anything he tells me to. Sometimes it's as mundane as sweeping the floor. Sometimes he sends me to the junk yard to fetch a glorious 3-speed auto trans out of a POS 70s Dodge truck. Most of the time, I'm laying on my back getting avalanches of rust in my eyes.

In the warm months, I operate my own landscaping company.

Here is another question..What was your first job ever..?

Besides walking a lawn mower around house to house asking to mow their lawns for cash...I worked at a local Pizza place after school...stuck it out for 3 years. :headwall:

I got y'all all beat!

My first job was leveling grain in a grain dryer. The grain was dumped in the dryer with an auger from the top so it was in a pile. We had to get inside with shovels and level it out then make a depression in the center so the air would circulate through it evenly when the dryer fan was running. Rice was the worst because it wouldn't slide on it's own. Corn and soybeans you could just play king of the mountain in and it would level off on it's own.

James

Currently I do data acquisition and analyses and research and development for a custom rubber mixer (or "QC" which is much easier to say!). At work I'm known as "the lab guy". Basically, I walk around our manufacturing plant collecting samples of the thousands of types of rubber that we make and place them in special machines that chew, stretch, poke, and prod our product.

My first job was working in a food stand at our local amusement park (Carowinds). The pay was a little better than most summer jobs but, the real benefit was free park admission when off duty and meeting all the girls!!

Besides walking a lawn mower around house to house asking to mow their lawns for cash...I worked at a local Pizza place after school...stuck it out for 3 years. :headwall:

Dishwasher at a bar for $4.35/ hr. (10 cents more than minimum wage at the time) When I started shucking oysters in the oyster bar, they paid me $4.75. This would have been. . . .1995.

Currently, I work in a Volvo and Chrysler restoration shop.

The average restoration is $100k. This is the type of restoration where the paint job starts at $20k.

I help him in the process and do anything he tells me to. Sometimes it's as mundane as sweeping the floor. Sometimes he sends me to the junk yard to fetch a glorious 3-speed auto trans out of a POS 70s Dodge truck. Most of the time, I'm laying on my back getting avalanches of rust in my eyes.

That sounds like a cool job! Holy crap at the cost though. He is doing an honorable job though, rebuilding old cars...

FYI, you can get safety glasses with led lights at the temples. I HIGHLY recommend them for heavy, under car work. Hands free light and less scratches on your retinas. ;)

First 'legal' tax reported job? Usher at a movie theater for $3.35/hr @ 16 years old. The perk was that one company owned at least 10 local theaters, so a friend and I could go in at any time to watch any movie at any theater AND get free soft drinks and popcorn. I KNOW, right? :ohno01:

Of course, working as an usher meant I couldn't stomach popcorn after 3 months...

B

Very first job ever? I was probably 16ish and it was only a 2 week job. I hung and then plucked the remaining feathers from turkeys that had just been killed, hung upside down to bleed and travel down what was called "the blood line", then thrown into a hot water broiler to soften the feathers, then into a sort of washing machine apparatus that removed most of the feathers. Normally when they got to me the only feathers left were the tail feathers. Then I hung them and they traveled down another line to be gutted and such. I did that for 4 hours, then after lunch I worked more packaging processed turkey meat in another part of the plant. This was at the Deistel turkey farm in Sonora California. If you ever have the chance to eat a Diestel turkey, they are delicious.

Right now I am a helicopter mechanic for the army well just the kiowa (0h-58d) or 15s mos to many names.

My first job I worked out in a trailer park just as a maintainer it sucked.

Ive worked in 4 kitchens since i started working at 12 years old until about 16. I had a job at a nissan dealership as a lot attendant for 1-1/2 years also worked at the marina at Waskesiu Lake for a few summers. Then 17-21 was a @!*% mix of warehouse jobs, forklift operator, land scape laborer, and canadian tire a few times. I started my own rubbish disposal company that was succesfull for a year, then i went back to school. 21 i worked as an Accounts Receivable and Credit team associate for an Oil and Gas Service company. @22, Now I work at PricewaterhouseCoopers as a junior accountant, starting my CA designation with them. I have one semester left of my Bachelors in Managment. Then freedom! but not really... :/

I hate to sound ignorant, but what are those?

:scratchhead:

Soil Nails, are a giant bolt ranging in different lengths from a few feet to 30+, That are put in the ground horizontally in a grid. We cover them with Shotcrete and Post tenstion them to around 26,000lbs. It basically ends up holding a soil embankment from eroding away, (If its loose ground, when you hit 30 kips you can see the embankment pull away, kinda eerie)

Rock Bolts are basically a Soil Nail but we put them into the rock face of cliffs, tension them and lock them off, helps hold the cliff up. Along with this we usually hang the wire fencing you see on cliffs near the freeways.

Micropiles, well they can have several uses depending what they are designed for, we normally put them in to help underpin a preexisting foundation or to help “stitch” the soil together, within a predicted shear zones to enhance mass stability.

Hopefully that helped

I work at Discount Tire, im a service coordinator meaning im the guy that runs my team of people 3-4 and 2-3 lifts. Telling people what the cars are and what to with them. I get to pull in and out cars and talk to the customers. The good thing is that I dont have to do as much labor with this job as just a tech does and I get to drive alot of cool cars like one of the new 7spd manual porsches, the new GT500's old muscle cars ferraris lifted trucks and jeeps all sortsa cool stuff. Plus I get discounts on wheels and tires for myslef which saved me around 800 bucks when I got new stuff. Pay is decent, and we get tips sometimes

First job was cleaning windows and mowing grass.

I was a cook for a few months at a local waffle hole.

Went to school for electronic engineering but didnt finish.

Worked for the good ol US govt. Got out and freelanced for a while with a few companies I wont mention here. Saw the world...alot of good and even more bad. and I miss it.

Now I am a pig... I am the guy that everyone hates until they need help. Uep. Freaking cops. Hahaha its all good. Keeps up the desire to seek that adrenaline rush I miss so much.

And a bunch of other odds and ends stuff in between...

Sent from my old brick of a phone!

first job was a delivery driver for round table pizza stayed there for one year but currently im a manager/lube technician for for a local repair,towing and express lube i hate my job some days but the pay is awesome

I'm a "professional " Handyman, and have been for almost 6 years now. I was a commercial carpenter for 8 years before I switched to handyman. I get calls to fix just about anything, from changing lightbulbs, to sealing doors on a grain elevator 15 stories in the air, to complete remodels.... The nice thing is the hours, I get paid based on billed hours, of which I get an average of about 20 a week. Leaves more "play time".

My first job was a cook at a Carls Jr.

I am a Lead recruiter for a Engineering Firm that specializes in the energy industry's like nuclear power, alternative energy's, gas fired and steam turbine power generation, HRSG's (Heat Recovery Steam Generator's), and right now I am doing some business development in the Oil & Gas industry here in Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

Truck driver-

I do it different though. I only move mobile homes and houses. Basically if you need a house moved I'm the person doing it. Pay scale is f-ed up though. I thought I would be getting .85 a mile loaded starting (what I was told) but because I'm in a training period (I've worked there 4 months and just took my pre-hire piss test, lol) I only make .65. Which isn't worth it because there are periods were I sit for a long time. Basically I'll say at this point I could make more money hauling dry van.

I want too move into oil hauling though. In ND those jobs pay $22 an hour starting with a minimum of 60 hours a week.

In the oil patch in Canada workers are grossing 14,000 a month average. Not even the truck drivers, just the normal field workers. But of course there are draw backs too this. 900 sq. Ft homes cost $300k and a bottle of A&W costs $4.

I am a slave for corporate overlords who essentially run a pyramid scheme. My job is to make as much money by selling peopel @!*% they dont need. Buying brake pads? Sure you dont want to spend $60-90 on rotors as well? Oh what about some random items at the register?
Not disgruntled, I promise.