EXO cage

Here are some pics of exo. It has been a work in progress, although it is getting there. I was having trouble figureing a way to put door bars in and still being able to use doors. ( I have 2 kids have to have use of back doors). I ended up drilling a new hole in the door stay about a 1/2" in from factory hole. This makes the door open about 4-5" less then it did factory. More then enough room for kids to get in. It leaves about a 1/2" between bars and fully open door. I did test this by putting some presure on the door when open and it will not hit bar.

I am also working on bar running below windshield and some more roof bars.

IMG_20130127_165915.jpg

IMG_20130127_165800.jpg

IMG_20130127_165941.jpg

IMG_20130127_170035.jpg

IMG_20130127_165859.jpg

• Like 4

I think I used about 100' I wasted about 20' trying to figure out how to do main bar that runs from just behind front wheel to rear hoop in one piece . I was trying to find a good way to follow the roof line. It was a little difficult. Practice with your bender a little, figure out the bend radius and center of bend if it is not marked on your bender shoe already . Finding the center of the bend helped me out to follow the lines I wanted. I also used blue masking tape to get a general idea of what I wanted to do. I used a Lowbuck bender, it works well but is time consuming. I am a electrcian so I bend conduit regularly which makes it a lot easier.

Thanks on the center bar.

My Pm inspired to do a build thread ???? I like the new middle bar between the doors. How many feet did you go through so far ? I'm planning . We have a bender now almost ready to g
Edited by Heloflyboy

Is there anything preventing the exo cage from twisting in a rollover and hitting the body?

No.

I refused to bolt through my cab which is the only real way to keep it all tied together. It has worked very well on rocks not slamming against truck. I slammed against a rock very hard on the drivers side and the cage moved enough to dent the bottom of my cab. I figured it was a small price to pay for what could of happened without the cage.

My family and I were in a very bad crash in my old 4runner on the way back from tahoe by a guy who crossed the HWY. He hit me in my door at what he told police was about 90mph we had a full cage and rock rails, my wife is now permenantly handicapped because her leg went out the window, but she is still alive.(don't let people rest there legs on dash). Anyway I don't care if the exo hits the cab as long as we all walk away from a roll over of any type.

Probably to much info. haha

• 4 weeks later...

Great job!!

Unfortunately it has come to late to save my Pathy from dented doors. that kind of cage would definitely have saved my truck, the boulder hit right where the middle bar is! :(

Edited by theexbrit

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Did you use pipe or tube? What size? I'm doing a few projects with a 1" conduit bender and 1" emt. It's hard enough to bend regular 1" emt, I imagine rigid 1" would be a nightmare with a manual bender? You might know better than me. What bender are you using? I also have the JD2 model 32 with a 1.75"- 5.5" center line radius die for bending heavy duty DOM tubing. I'll be doing a bumper with 1-1/4" rigid tube on the JD2 to practice bending before wasting money on expensive DOM tubing. I might follow my fenders with the expensive stuff, connecting them to rock sliders, that I have to make first.

Edited by Methfinder