Thinking about buying 02 XTerra; your thoughts?

lint

With a new addition to our family (little girl!) my trusty 95 WD21 is now dimly viewed for lack of airbags. I found a 130 000 mi 02 Xterra for 5000, and it is a 1 owner, well maintained vehicle. Hopefully I can make it out to view this week. It has 30, 000 mi less on it than our WD21 which takes me 2 years of driving to amass.

Any information that you'd like to share? Problem areas that I should be aware of?

Cheers,

d

I have nothing bad to say about 1st gen x's. The 02 should have the upgraded tranny. My only comment is going to be that you have 11 years before you want your little girl anywhere near an airbag.

Your primary protection is seat belts. Airbags are a supplementary restraint system or SRS. Put the girl into a booster seat and strap her in the back seat. Use the buckle with CENTER written on it. Should be more than enough.

Hi D,

As a Nissan parts pimp I can tell you that catalytic converters will be the main thing to worry about going out on the vehicle and the rear console cup holder seems to need replacing a lot. We see that one a lot here on that vehicle. I do see a fair amount of northern vehicles that need rear leaf springs and schackles from rust, so make sure to check those out. Other than that its a solid vehicle IMHO. Just make sure to check out everything you normally would for wear and tear when looking at a used vehicle.

Thanks, I appreciate your time & comments!! Yes, she's in booster in back, centre....air bgs are for the parents.

Alkorahil, that's perfect insight - thanks! I'll def pay more attention to that area. I guess that I can use my obi-2 scan tool to read for a cat code or is the condition of them just based on doing a visual? Rough cost for for leaf springs? I can search out the cost of cats pretty easily online.

cheers,

d

You can hook a scanner up to a vehicle and have no codes stored. But always good to check. The cats can be good at that moment and start throwing codes a week later. I brought them up because, even though these vehicles are getting 'old' I see WD22 cats needing replacement more often than R50 or D22U of the same age, but not saying it is a pandemic with them.

I am assuming it is a V6.....

Nissan MSRP USD on the leaf springs is $271, shackle is $36.

To do bushings, leaf springs, shackles, spring clips MSRP $423 per side .

MSRP on the cats is $752 each!