Front bumpers: OEM or not to OEM?

XPLORx4

Aftermarket Bumper Poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What FRONT bumper is installed on your Pathfinder?

• OEM
    • OEM + brush guard (any brand)
    • ARB Sahara Bar
    • TJM
    • Tactical Armor Group (aka KMA) "Wincher"
    • I adapted an aftermarket bumper from another brand/model vehicle
    • I paid someone else to custom-build one for me
    • I custom-built my own
    • Other (specify in a post below)

Did you want this to be r50 pacific or would you like me to put it in general for ya to be a full range poll?

R50-specific, please. Thanks for the offer, though.

Edited by XPLORx4

Mine is OEM ish I ruined the bumper "cover" so I just ripped it off but left the metal "bumper" behind it there...its handy for mounting lights on and if you think about it not much less sturdy over stock. The plastic bumper is flimsy

IMAG0763.jpg

304838_10150955358412617_1738097787_n.jp

227783_10151356087924456_603126136_n.jpg

Mine is OEM ish I ruined the bumper "cover" so I just ripped it off but left the metal "bumper" behind it there...its handy for mounting lights on and if you think about it not much less sturdy over stock. The plastic bumper is flimsy

IMAG0763.jpg

Looks good :aok::aok::aok:

I built my own, I just used the stock tow loops as a point of contact and welded the bumper to them, and then I used a plate on the back and cut holes for the stock bumper mounts. So there are 14 points of contact where the bumper bolts up. I think I spent about $400 to build that bumper in parts which included the steel, bolts, grinder wheels, and welding wire. It just takes some imagination is all.

photo45.jpg

0220111536.jpg

0220111632a.jpg

0226111428.jpg

0226111518.jpg

There are many different routes you can go, a bunch of people have done it, and this is where I originallly got my insperation:

NissanPathfinderBumpers5.png

NissanPathfinderBumpers1.jpg

271553_10150242238894253_502844252_71284

46479a60.jpg

8429_149589854455_500544455_2509175_1519

227783_10151356087924456_603126136_n.jpg

Hmmmmmm never thought about this, no expense, better approach angle- me likey! I would think about making a splash shield (with slots for cooling) that goes from the bottom of the bumper to the lower frame support to cover the exposed radiator, it'll also give it a bit more polished look. One could even fab up a winch bracket with a bit of creativity I bet. Thanks for the idea.

Indeed, I have some chicken wire mesh stuff I have been meaning to put in front of my rad but havent had the time to do so yet. Only downside is if you dont have aftermarket lights like I do you loose some light from the fog lights but its almost not noticeable

• 10 months later...

so as i am broke haha i have a job but between gas student loan car loan and a credit card and the erge to do random mods on a impulse to the pathfinder im almost always broke but im going to do what 01silverpathy did but do a peice of metal were the radiator is but as stioc said about cooling it got me thinking about it so should i look for a vent to put in so that i dont get my radiator coverd in mud when trail riding or should i just get holes cut in themetal

Yeah, with my bumper flapping at highway speeds I did the 01silvapathy bumper "mod" for a while. I REALLY liked the approach angle and the ease with which I could mount my lights:

IMG_20131008_071457_366.jpg

But then, with COPathy's bad luck (totaled his R50 recently), I was able to purchase his ARB:

IMG_20131025_122100_918.jpg

I've never like the ARB bumper (for several reasons), but it was really hard to pass up on a bolt-on bumper with all the "fixins".

I still think the modified XJ, custom build, or custom fab yourself are the best ways to go for real off-roading with this beast. And I'm mostly talking about having one less bulky with better angles. I'm still a bit disappointed my design/build plans with a fabricator here in Colorado didn't go through (because I bought this ARB), but I hate to look a gift-horse in the mouth, ya know.

• Like 2

Well I made me one this weekend, its kind of a bumper/grilleguard, just waiting on my brother to grab is paint gun. Its not quite up to par with these other guys but the metal was $40, harbor freight tube bender was $100 and welder was $100. I plan to use the hell out of the tube bender

The next two are just how im going to mount it not what it looks like1130131035_zpsaad2fe67.jpg1110131202a_zps904c8c99.jpg1110131202_zps43148fae.jpg

Ok Rick13, you and your rig just went from 'love' to 'hate' (In the "I'm jealous and hatin'" sense). I loved COpathy's rig with the sahara bumper!! It gives our rides that extra thing... I love how the truck is totally competent, stout looking, and can still get you to and from work. Absolutely gorgeous rig friend!!!

What happened to the rest of COPathy's mods & parts? bad accident?

• Like 1

Ok Rick13, you and your rig just went from 'love' to 'hate' (In the "I'm jealous and hatin'" sense). I loved COpathy's rig with the sahara bumper!! It gives our rides that extra thing... I love how the truck is totally competent, stout looking, and can still get you to and from work. Absolutely gorgeous rig friend!!!

What happened to the rest of COPathy's mods & parts? bad accident?

Ha! You crack me up. Thanks a lot. You better let me know next time you head out this way again so we can hit some trails - meet you in Moab or the San Juans.

Not sure about all the parts (forgot the list he had). I remember him saying the accident wasn't crazy bad, but insurance had deemed it "totaled" (which I totally understand with vehicles of our age taking a good lick in an accident, but is sad none-the-less).

I talked to him a couple months back and he still had some random items (like a Hi-Lift and shovel or axe attachment to the Yakima rack and I think some other odds/ends). Really nice guy to deal with.

Any way, the ARB is stout, I can definitely give it that. I've winched off it 3 times and the thing doesn't even flinch (I've seen other bumpers "give" a little under full load especially when yanking at a significant angle).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Rick13, I'll definitely let you know when I get back out west. I'm still interested in doing the whole Kokopelli trail like you and some of the Co4Lo guys ran. (When I was out there ~2 yrs ago it was too hot to run solo...I'm a risk taker, but not stupid.)

I still think we need a group to head out for the GoneMoab one of these years.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

When i changed out my bumper i moved them to side marker lights. The plugs are the same for the blinker and marker. Unplug marker, plug up blinker and done. Its not the same watt light so the blinker blinks like its on speed but it works until you can get some mounted elsewhere. Ill see if i can put some pics up of the bumper i used. Was for a TJ jeep i think..whatever the newest jeep is.

I just picked up some clear lensed amber colored trailer turn signals and put them in my steel bumper. Yea they blink at light speed, was going to build some load resistors but I am lazy, and in the middle of the night my bright blinkers look like strobes going off which amuses me :lmao: