tranny trouble?

sroeser01

I recently made about a 500 mile or so trip with the ol girl, the way there was perfect as well as the way home. Made it all the way to the street down the road from my home and construction needed me to stop and wait for a min or two. It's a 5 speed so I was sitting there in N and something sounded off below the shifter, like I could hear the drive shaft spinning. Went to shift into first and I hear a slight grinding going into gear. Shifted threw fine and made it home and made the grinding sound again when putting it in N in the driveway. Took it for a test drive later that night and nothing . drove to work the following day and I herd a slight grind going into 4th. Then the next day nothing. It seems to do it in any gear randomly. I'm at a stand still as I'm sitting here at work and today nothing again. Any one have a clue?

Sounds like a release, or throwout bearing. Also, could be your lubricants. If you don't know when the last time the transfer and transmission fluids were changed, then change them. If the noise is still there, then unfortunately it might be your release bearing, which is a $40 part, but about $600 in labor to replace because you have to drop the whole transmission.

I've done that job, but it took me 3 days and the use of a hydraulic lift, because I'd never done transmission work before. Now it would probably take me a day or two. The service manual says it takes 8 hours of labor, hence the $600 labor charge.

If you're up for doing the job yourself, hit me up. I can give you lots of pointers.

It was cold and it was way low. I only had half a qt of gear oil left in the garage so I added it but ill head to the store and get more tomrrow. Shouldnt the lvl of fluid stay the same in a m/t anyway hot or cold ?

It was cold and it was way low. I only had half a qt of gear oil left in the garage so I added it but ill head to the store and get more tomrrow. Shouldnt the lvl of fluid stay the same in a m/t anyway hot or cold ?

It's probably GL-5 rated. Get Amsoil MTG or Redline MT-90 in your trans ASAP and bleed your clutch slave cylinder too til fresh fluid comes out. Use DOT3 or DOT4 fluid.

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1

FSM lists GL-4 only, so definitely get correct fluid. Redline MT-90 is available on Amazon, but I've read anecdotes that the Amsoil MTG provides better shift feel, especially after several thousand miles.

so i have narrowed it down to when in makes this whine/grind, its when its in gear and i press the clutch in and pull or push it into to the next gear and am letting off the clutch it makes a slight grind/whining noise every once in a while, could this be cause i have gl-5 in there or could it be alot worse, im hoping switching out to gl-4 full syn will help...

Sounds like it could be the release bearing, especially when the sound is present with the clutch engaged.

When your clutch is engaged, the only thing spinning should be your release bearing. No gears in the transmission itself are spinning.

• 11 months later...

replaced the clutch, and had the tranny rebuilt, all new synthetic fluids and bearings...it wasnt cheap but i plan on keeping this vehicle for a while so it was worth it for me personally

• Like 1

replaced the clutch, and had the tranny rebuilt, all new synthetic fluids and bearings...it wasnt cheap but i plan on keeping this vehicle for a while so it was worth it for me personally

:aok: :aok:

Change the fluid in 10k miles to dump any new break in wear and any crud that fell in during the rebuild and you'll be good to go. Change it every 30-50k miles afterwards. Use GL-4 manual trans lube only.

Well my clutch is only about 7000 miles in so I guess it will just depend on how long I can stand that terrible whirring every time I depress the clutch before I decide to drop the tranny. $30 bearing + 8-9 hours labor cost vs my insanity...