Faint ignition chime sound on slow acceleration - ghost in the machine?

Pav

Hello All,

I just had my Distributor, Rotor and Spark Plug Wires replaced and have noticed a strange noise now happening when I drive off slowly.

When I give the truck some light throttle I hear a very faint sound, a muted version of the chime sound when the key is still in the ignition. It starts to get louder with more throttle up to 30 km/h then the sound seems to go away or I'm not hearing it any more because of road or engine noise.

The only additional electrical load items I have are my Hella 500s which I have directly connected to the battery and an engine starter.

I've gotten a lot more power out of the truck but my fuel economy has not increased.

Any advice as to what might be causing this sound is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

First thing I'd do is disconnect the door chime just to make sure it's not that. I can't imagine it would be, but still. Maybe your AC idler is bad? If it started when you had the work done, maybe something is binding in the distributor? I'm running Hella 500s with no noises so it's not that.

• Like 1

Make sure your engine grounds are good, and that the distributor ground is attached. It could be whoever did the work forgot to re-attach it.

Thanks for the ideas of things to check out...I'm going to be bringing it back to him on Thursday and I'll update with the findings...thanks for your time.

Make sure your engine grounds are good, and that the distributor ground is attached. It could be whoever did the work forgot to re-attach it.

What would the distributor ground look like?

Thanks for all the help...ends up its just one of my belts that when cold produces the noise...once the engine temp starts to rise the noise goes totally away...its nothing serious and the belt is still in good condition so no need to replace it at this point in time. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

The good old infamous v-belt noise. They will do that as they age because they collect stuff from the pulleys and also stretch. I am starting to get more of it now. Just put new belts on there and it should be quiet again. Be careful to not over-tighten them. Just make them tight enough to be functional.

• Like 1

Found the source of my fuel consumption problem...it was one of my vacuum tubes - Carbon Canister vacuum port to throttle body to be exact. Thanks again for all the inputs...cheers

EC pg.7 if you guys want the Vacuum Hose drawing