Failed smog. High NO.

96Pathfinder4x4

After putting everything back together, I have the same problem: No vacuum TO the EGR via the EGRC-BPT & Vacuum solenoid. I also have a variation at idle...basically like someone is tapping on the gas pedal.

I run injector cleaner every 5-10k. Chevron Techron stuff that comes in a case at Costco.

I don't think the diverter would be a problem, unless I was getting vacuum to the EGR.

I'm going to suck it up and drop it off at the mechanic tomorrow. At least this way, the problem will be fixed and I will be insured to pass smog. :blush02:

Id bet you dollars to dounuts that if you checked your sensors and they work properly you have a vacuum leak somewhere on that engine. Thats what is causeing the idle to jump like someone tapping on the gas. If you have a big enough leak to cause your idle to jump your egr is the smaller of your problems. I would find the leak before I sent it in to the mechanic.

Also did you by chance have your wiring harness completely disconected at any time in the past. I think the connector for the IAAC valve fits the vacuum solenoid you may have gotten them swapped.

Edited by ejin4499

Don't feel bad about it, you have done a lot of checking and testing to determine what the issue is so the mechanic shouldn't have much trouble taking it from there. As a fellow Californian, I know what it is like to deal with smog requirements and the timing of it all.

Let us know that the find/fix is, please, and good luck.

B

• 4 weeks later...

Update: So far, not fixed.

Due to my troubleshooting, I set the MAF sensor code. Apparently after clearing any code that has to do with emissions, you have to wait for the cycle to run. I've put 230 miles on it and it still is not ready for smog. :/

I have. I drove out to the desert last Monday. Stop and go, car on and off, speeds up to 70mph., etc....

On a good note, I learned that my code reader can tell me when it's ready...so I don't waste time getting a ride to the shop.

Probably obvious, but when my EGR wasn't working the reason turned out to be that I had the vacuum line hooked up to the wrong place. There are a bunch of little tubes over there that are basically the same... but presumably you've though of that :)

• 3 weeks later...