Idle speed in Drive?

HitMan

Does anyone know the typical Idle speed in Drive? I thought it was like 900 to 1000 RPM. I just recently had my timing belt done by a shop and got the truck back tonight and it seems very sluggish and idles at like 700 RPM and sounds like it is choking itself out. It was very sluggish on the highway too. Its a 96 3.3L by the way.

Idle should be a little low once it's warmed up. But if it's running like crap and idling lower than before, sounds like the shop didn't count teeth right on the belt.

Agreed. "Sluggish" and "choking itself out" sounds like a t belt issue and the fact that you mentioned that it has been messed with sounds like it wasn't done right.

I drove it again today and it does idle at 750 in drive but there is more vibration felt now like imbalance. It also has a hard time getting up to speed on the highway and maintaining 70 requires a lot more pedal than before. The garage is closed until after Christmas so I guess it has to wait...very disappointing and I know they are not going to want to open it back up the check the belt.

You can be off a couple of teeth before the valves kiss the pistons. A couple of us have had t-belt issues like this. You can have them check the compression to see if the valves are closing properly.

I'll have them check that. Does the throttle need to be re learned? Not sure if that could be the reason.

I drove it again today and it does idle at 750 in drive but there is more vibration felt now like imbalance. It also has a hard time getting up to speed on the highway and maintaining 70 requires a lot more pedal than before. The garage is closed until after Christmas so I guess it has to wait...very disappointing and I know they are not going to want to open it back up the check the belt.

You definitely got a timing belt issue, as devonianwalk said, a couple of us have had issues with timing, me being one of them. It was a great learning experience.

But if it barely maintains speed, and feels like you are sitting in a race car at idle, its off a tooth or two, i had a big thread complaining of the same symptoms after attempting my timing belt three or four times.

On a 96, there is no relearning process.

Once you can get a hold of the shop, and arrange a date, i would print off page EM-15 of the service manuals, and precariously leave it on the dash or passenger seat, (basically bringing the horse to water) see if they can figure it out. If they can't...get your money back.

OR be a baller and do it yourself, its very empowering to do something like that, once my buddy finally got the timing belt sorted (which was the craziest mechanical thing we had done to our rigs) on the 4th time of ripping the front of my engine apart, nothing stopped us, since then, i've swapped 2 engines, 3 transmissions, and rebuilt my front suspension, and just did my knock senor.

But like devonianwalk said, you can technically run these engine with incorrect timing before having an issue. It should be fine. Personal experience talking on that one, lol

Let us know how else we can help.

-Kyle

• Like 1

Mine idles at about 700/750 rpm in drive, warmed up, just as Towncivilian says. As the others say it seems like your timing belt is off a tooth or two. Do it yourself then you know it's done right (hopefully :laugh: ). I think when I did mine it was about a 2 hour or so job, rad out, fan off, belts off, undo crank pulley nut (the hardest part), plastic covers off, timing marks, mark the teeth & back plate with whiteout or some such, loosen belt idler/adjuster, belt off, new belt on, replace everything & Bob's your uncle or your auntie if he's a cross dresser (British joke) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not quite as simple as that, but as Kyle says not that hard. Oh, & replace your water pump & idlers while you're there. :aok::itsallgood:

• Like 1

You definitely got a timing belt issue, as devonianwalk said, a couple of us have had issues with timing, me being one of them. It was a great learning experience.

But if it barely maintains speed, and feels like you are sitting in a race car at idle, its off a tooth or two, i had a big thread complaining of the same symptoms after attempting my timing belt three or four times.

On a 96, there is no relearning process.

Once you can get a hold of the shop, and arrange a date, i would print off page EM-15 of the service manuals, and precariously leave it on the dash or passenger seat, (basically bringing the horse to water) see if they can figure it out. If they can't...get your money back.

OR be a baller and do it yourself, its very empowering to do something like that, once my buddy finally got the timing belt sorted (which was the craziest mechanical thing we had done to our rigs) on the 4th time of ripping the front of my engine apart, nothing stopped us, since then, i've swapped 2 engines, 3 transmissions, and rebuilt my front suspension, and just did my knock senor.

But like devonianwalk said, you can technically run these engine with incorrect timing before having an issue. It should be fine. Personal experience talking on that one, lol

Let us know how else we can help.

-Kyle

Thanks guys for the help! This was timing belt number 2 and it doesn't get the mileage it once used to everyday so I'm not sure there will be a third. Took it back to the shop and they swore up and down that everything was aligned but said they would look at it. Got a call 4 hours later and they said well it looks like the timing was off a little bit... stupid stupid. Picked it up and it drives as good as new again. I did have the trans flushed too so he was thinking it was related to that even though I knew he was talking out of his butt to cover himself. Last time I will be going there.. still was about half the price of having it done at the dealer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FYI On my Subaru the Stealership got one cam off by a tooth.

When I had and Oil leak shortly afterwards ( very suspicious ) I found the problem.

So event the dealers don't do it right.

Learn't my lesson !!