Front vibration problem

max

Hi All!

After starting using FWD this winter I discovered next problem in my Pathy :(. I have 2001 R50 SE with manual transmission (part-time). This is a vibration somewhere in front.

It feels only:

• In 4WD Hi position (2WD is just fine)
  • When driving strait
  • At speed 60Km/h (37.2823 Miles/h) or close to that
  • On load (when accelerating or driving uphill)

Some info that might help

• Wheels are new and balanced.
  • Have a suspension near 2inch lift (springs + spacers).
  • Wheel bearing are ok.

Tomorrow will change u-joints in front propeller shaft. But I would be happy if you guys will give me advise - where to look and what to check to diagnose this problem. Probably somebody else had similar problem.

PS: sorry for my English.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I think you are on the right path. Go after the u-joints in the front drive shaft. Rotate the wheels just to make sure one is not balanced correctly or has thrown a weight. Check the rims for signs of a hit and/or bent. Check the CV boots for cracks or signs of damage. Jack the vehicle up, grab the wheel at the top and bottm and move it around checking for any play and/or loseness. Take the wheel off and check the tie rod ends and ball joints. Have someone sit in the vehicle and turn the steering wheel back and forth. Check the steering rack and its attachment points. The rubber bushings are known to deteriorate especial the driver side where engine oil during oil changes spills and over time ruins the bushing. Grasp the tie rod with your hand as the helper turns the steering wheel back and forth. Play can be on either side, inner or outer in the tie rod.

But if it occurs under acceleration in 4WD, it's probably u-joints or CV joints

Good luck and report back!

Does your 4x4 light on the dash stay on? Funny you posted this, i put my truck in 4x4 for the first time in months the other day and i noticed a vibration and the light flickers a bit... Havent had time to look into it really though, but i have almost the same setup as you.

Thank you all for replies!

We did a general inspection and found that u-joints are dead, replaced them. CV joint looks like do not have any play and are ok. After replacing u-joints drive feeling becomes better (don't know how to describe), but vibration still persist at same conditions.

Also, I have to replace rubber dust boots on front (covering CV joints (as I understand)). At that stage I;m going ask my mechanic to inspect CV joints more carefully.

Also, it (vibration) might be a result of lift in suspension, as some joints have excessive angles, but guys who did a lift told me that all angles look fine (they saw this problem on other cars already).

Also, for me it sounds more like looseness or deterioration of some parts as it occurs only at certain speed and load and looks like something resonating.

Also, have to mansion that we replaced all rubber bushings and inspected ball joints recently.

Does your 4x4 light on the dash stay on? Funny you posted this, i put my truck in 4x4 for the first time in months the other day and i noticed a vibration and the light flickers a bit... Havent had time to look into it really though, but i have almost the same setup as you.

Think a year ago my 4x4 light was flickering a few times when 4x4 mode was on, but after that this problem gone. But at that moment I didn't have a problem with vibrations. But it is another thing that is weird: I'm unable to turn off 4x4 mode immediately, mean shifter moves to 2HI, but nothing happens (4x4 light still on and it feels like car is still in 4x4 mode), only at 1 try from 10 it works fine, and when driving on higher speed than 5 miles/h it never goes to 2HI.