Uh oh

4doordrift

Hi Guys,

Im hitting myself a bit right now.. I just purchased some new toyo open country AT-II's for my 2002 r50. I ordered them in 245/75/16.. Just realized my stock tire size is 245/70/16... I dont have a lift however my stock suspension isn't badly sunk.

Did i fskc up? will they rub? or did i make the unintentional right choice and gain a wee bit of height without any problems......

Ill have pics of them on once they arrive.

the first number is the tread width, the second is the sidewall height by percentage of the tread width. Your old tires have a theoretical sidewall of 171.5, the new ones will be 183.75 for a difference of 12.25mm. 12.7mm is 1/2" so .482" taller side wall. Now, that is just in theory because different tires and manufacturers make tires in slightly different sizes from what is stated, not to mention your old tires are worn down so theoretically you should get some lift/slightly larger tires, but in reality they could be almost the same size to 1" larger radially. Don't worry yet, search the web (manufacturers sites) to see what the actual tire sizes are and go from that.

Calculators are helpful, but it is far better to know the what and why's. ;)

B

• Like 1

Not all tires are the same, that's for sure! I had to use a 3/8" spacer on the front of my 200SX with the 225/50's that came on the wheels I bought for it. When I replaced those 225/50's with a different brand 225/50, I had to get a larger spacer, 1/2", to clear the strut tube as the new ones were a bit more square at the tread edge.

Hi Guys,

Im hitting myself a bit right now.. I just purchased some new toyo open country AT-II's for my 2002 r50. I ordered them in 245/75/16.. Just realized my stock tire size is 245/70/16... I dont have a lift however my stock suspension isn't badly sunk.

Did i fskc up? will they rub? or did i make the unintentional right choice and gain a wee bit of height without any problems......

Ill have pics of them on once they arrive.

They will fit no problem! I know of a 2002 R50 with the same exact tires, he had to do a *very* miniscule trimming of the front bumper which is not even noticeable. You'll like the tires and the slight height gain.

You may or may not have an issue with the tire hitting the bottom of the front strut spring holder thingy.

You won't know untill you fit them. I say give it a try with one. If it clears you are good to go. When new mine barely cleared, but did.

My 3 season tires are Toyo 275/70/16 and I clear the strut. Nice tires, I bought mine out west at a Schwalbe. They weren't sure if they'd fit either, but they did. Also the tires last a long time-I think I'm on my 6th year with them now, and I also drove back acrossed country on them. I have only been swapping them out in the winter for the past 3 years.

Worst case if they don't clear the strut, use a spacer set up front. I'm not a big fan of spacers, so just take extra care checking them if you do.

Here's from the guy I mentioned earlier:

"I did have some very minor rubbing when I first put them on, but after having someone sit in the driver's seat and turn the wheel lock-to-lock I was able to see that it was the very tip of the bumper and the interior splash guard which made contact. I pushed and screwed the splash guard back, and trimmed just the very tip of the bumper.

Here's the little bit of trimming I had to do to make the tires rub-free. Again, I pushed the splash-guard back an inch or two and used the factory self-tapping screws to permanently lock in its location. Then I trimmed just a little bit of the plastic bumper, to avoid the bumper chatter I initially had. Anyway, hopefully this picture illustrates it clearly enough."

Hmm I can't upload the pic but I can PM it if you want.

I have 31"x10.5"x15 Kelly Safari ATR's & have no rubbing issues whatsoever. When I had stock wheels there was about 1/2" clearance between the tire & the strut. Now, all you guys have to do is convert that to metric & see if it comes close to the Toyo size for comparison. I'm too tired to do the converting :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I got the tires mounted. And let me tell you... they are AWSOME. There was a fresh snow fall last night and i took it out after my 13 hour cram at school all day for a final exam. What a difference, The truck feels taller and has grip for days on snow and dirt. 100% satisfied. I dont have the look of a wide low offset rim poking tire and a mud terrain like i want, but for practicality sake i made a very good choice considering all season performance and will be extremely happy with these in the future. The tread is SO Deep. Ill post pics soon.

Toyo Open Country AT-II, Thumbs up

• Like 1

They will fit no problem! I know of a 2002 R50 with the same exact tires, he had to do a *very* miniscule trimming of the front bumper which is not even noticeable. You'll like the tires and the slight height gain.

I'm that guy! I have the EXACT same tires, and they fit fine on my 02 Path. Here's a link to give you an idea.

This is them fitted, and page 5 has pictures of the trimming I had to do. Basically I just pushed back the splash guard, screwed it into place permanently with the stock hardware, and then just cut the very tip of the bumper. Super easy.

http://www.expeditio...read-by-Allof75

Hope it helps even if it's a little late!

Edited by Karmann

I've got some pics uploaded finally! I decided to go test out the new rubber in Postil Backwoods with a fresh dump of snow.

Never once got stuck, wanted to go into some deeper stuff but i was all alone and didnt want to risk being stranded with out another rig. It was Fun! Toyo's performed extremely well!

IMG_1930_zps2947f5fe.jpg

IMG_1943_zpsa739029e.jpg

IMG_1942_zps271ff8c8.jpg

IMG_1941_zpse761f14f.jpg