Lack of brakes..?

NissanNismoZ

So I've been having this problem where I have a lot of pedal travel before the brakes really work.. Sometimes I have to downshift and ebrake to stop quickly.. But I take a look around.. And my pads and rotors both look alright. They don't look low.

I noticed going down a hill when I had my e fan quite a bit my brake pedal was harder and I was able to stop with brake pedal pressure.. If that even applies..

But I vled my brakes.. With the exception of one wheel.. My rear pass. Wheel coz the bleeder snapped off. But.. Bleeding didn't seem to help..

I can pump my brakes and the pedal doesn't get any harder.. I just don't know what it is but the pedal is really soft and if I stop hard I have to kinda double take.. Push once then push again? It'll sometimes go close to the floor before my brakes really seem to do anything.. Any ideas?

Step one would be bleed the brakes. Do you know the last time that was done or the fluid changed? Step two would be to check the brake booster for proper functioning. The process is in the FSM and is fairly easy.

B

Along the lines of what B said above, if the fluid is dirty looking it might be a good idea to change it as well. You can have a fluid exchange done professionally or siphon out the fluid in the reservoir yourself, pour clean in and bleed them until new, clean fluid come outs at each bleed point. Just be sure to monitor and top off the fluid level throughout the bleeding process.

I just bled my brakes and my pedal is LOW. My helper must have let go of the pedal before I closed the bleeder screw, so we gotta bleed them again the right way this time. I would bleed the brakes again as the other guys said.

Edited by Towncivilian

Hmm.. I'll try bleeding the brakes again. The brake fluid is clear, not appearing dirty really. Should it be fine to bleed again? With me not able to bleed the rear passenger wheel?

I'd assume if the booster were bad my pedal would be stiff.. Or would it? It just seems like it won't get up enough pressure..

I'll try bleeding again then checking the booster per FSM. Thanks! :)

If the fluid is clean then it should be ok, if can breakdown but it's unlikely. However, if there is air in that line then yes it will be a problem. Have you considered replacing the wheel cylinder (drums - $15-20) or caliper (Disks $50-60)?

Wheel cylinder..

Is that the part that has the bleeder nipple on it? I thought I was going to need a whole axle if I were ever wanting to bleed that again..

I can't do much with the pathy at the moment.. As its down for the thermostat housing leaking (I can't get it to seal right after 4 attempts.. Even sanding it down flat hasn't helped..)

So ill take it into the shop and have them fix that.

I'll post back when I'm able to work on the brakes again. Thanks everyone! Itd be nice if that part was replaceable :)