turning but will not fire up

jayjay6888

so yesterday morning i remote started my 99 Nissan pathfinder as far as i know it started up fine because when i went out it was running fine already warmed up for me. i drove less than a mile went in to the store to use the atm, then came back out and started the truck again it took a little longer to start than normal but i didnt think nothing off it. i got out of the parking lot and i shut off on me no hesitation nothing just shut off. tried starting it just constantly turns but wont fire ... i have plenty of battery(4 to be exact Car audio purposes) i arch the spark plug i have a good spark disconnect the hose connecting to the fuel rail and i had pressure not sure how much but at least some pressure ...the fuel pump relay works replaced it with a new one i dont hear the fuel pump prime but i have pressure all the way up front after letting the vehicle sit for over 24hrs ....the rotor on the distributor is turning and looks good i disconnected the air intake hose and sprayed starter fluid and brake parts cleaner both of which worked for me in the past when i wasnt getting fuel but neither do the trick now ...im at a loss for ideas

battery check

starter check

Fuel check

Spark check

compression?????

PLEASE help me

Uhmm, welcome to the forum? :shrug:

Do you know if the fuel filter has been changed? You could check compression to see if the timing belt has jumped/slipped. I assume that you have an aftermarket alarm system to protect your high end audio gear. Maybe the alarm brain is going out?

• Like 1

Could be the alarm ...ill disconnect the brain ...i definitely have fuel I cut the hose connecting the fuel line to the passenger side fuel rail and its a nice steady stream...i have to buy a compression tester at this point im going with electrical like a sensor just don't know where to start

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

I had a faulty alarm brain that wouldn't stop trying to start my engine. Almost wrecked my starter. Most alarms have an engine kill feature to prevent a thief from driving off so, yeah, if the brain is bad then maybe that could be your problem.

I have a tool that I like to use...you can get it at Autozone...Spark tester. It looks like a pen and has an inductive circuit with an led. You hold it on the wire and you can see if the plugs are getting fire. I think they're only about $10.

Here's the one that I have. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?partnumber=19380LISLE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=nonpaid&utm_campaign=froogleACC&utm_term=19380LISLE&gclid=CMONo7rW_rMCFUxxQgod03YAJg

disconnected the brain and still the same problem...im going to check spark tomorrow this damn daylight savings time and no garage to work in are killing me by the time i get off its dark... fuel pressure should be around 55psi correct?

and i will check spark tomorrow HOW can i check injectors to see if they are working properly? and is there a relay for them?

Do you have any codes??? How did the knock sensor come into play here?

....regardless, I don't think a knock sensor would prevent the vehicle from starting. I would think it would stutter if anything. If you are getting spark and the engine is cranking over, then the only thing left is fuel delivery. (and I wouldn't spray brake cleaner into your intake...it will eat your sensors, maf, tps, etc.)

Speaking of....tps sensor might restrict the fuel delivery.

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4

It's possible the crank angle sensor or camshaft position sensor is throwing causing your no start condition. Check your codes. Your spark timing could be way off due to either of those sensors failing. If you throw a timing light on it while you crank, see if it's in range.

Knock sensor is mentioned because its the only code I have other than o2 sensors which dont interfere with starting ...im going to.check compression tomorrow that will tell me if timing is off

And the way its set up there are no maf sensor in the way its by the filter which is disconnected right now and tps is out side of the throttle..im spraying directly into the throttle

ok so its not compression all cylinders were 150psi except 2 and they were 155 and 160psi. with compression like that i know its not timing. ripped the wire for plug number 6(pain in the a*#) by the way if any one has any tips other than taking the intake manifold off would be great because i am going to replace them even though they seem to be fine with the gap test but they are due for a change what are you guys running for plugs and wires?

Now with cap rotor plugs and wires all changed...it sputters at idle when in gear and acts as if its going to shut off ...then when driving I go to give it gas around 1500 rpm and she stutters then goes...after 2k rpm shes fine no hesitation

I'm telling you, its the distributor...... replace it and when you time it advance it about a degree or two and it gives you a little more pep.... or it could be a vacuum leak, I remember when I once tried to put a cold air intake on before I put my snorkel on I disconnected the vacuum lines and hooked them up to the new intake and it ran like dogsh*# but when I put them back together stock it was fine. Look for a crack or hole in your lines off the air box. But most likely its the distributor.... It's not that hard to change, just keep your wires hooked up to the old cap until you get it in and swap them over.

Edited by muddfildvaynes

Only does it under 2k rpm...and my gas milage is horrible wasnt great to begin with but now a whole tank got me 180 miles where as before id get 250-270 with old plugs, wires, cap, and rotor ...plugs I used are bosch double platinum and duralast wires cap and rotor...think.ngk will make that much.difference