Factory alarm brain with relay?

Trogdor636

Over the weekend I helped a buddy figure out why his factory alarm in his 93 would never work. The old brain was dead (swapped my known working unit in) so we went to the local Pick N Pull and found a 93 with one. Before pulling it I noticed it had a relay on it, but he bought it anyway, and it works perfect now. My question is does anybody have the same relay and why dont they all have it? It connects to the starter wires, not the main harness, but I'm curious about what it is actually for since his 93 and my 94 both didnt have it, and worked fine, but this unit has it. It has to be that way from the factory because of the way the relay is mounted to the box. Here is a bad pic (I totally forgot to take when when it was out of the truck) that shows the relay hanging off the side.

6561E5C6-orig.jpg

Mine doesn't, and the alarm system isn't shown in the FSM. If it connects to the starter wires, then I'd assume it's some kind of lockout. IIRC the standard alarm doesn't prevent the truck from starting, so maybe this was an optional feature?