Bad Clunk when turning, or going over bumps.

ferrariowner123

I dont get it guys, i just dont get it.

Pathy is sitting on OEM strut bearings, strut mounts, both steering racks bushings have been replaced with OEM, (didn't really need to, but i did) and new KYB GR-2 struts.

And she still clunks, much in the same way as before, its less often, but i still get this terrifying clunk coming from the front of the car every now and again.

All that's left is the sway bar, i do have new, MOOG sway bar end links and one of the them is installed on the passenger side, but maybe both are tortured?

Should i invest in the new sway bar bushings?

Thanks for the advise guys.

-Kyle

Because you have manual hubs you could try putting the whole car on axle stands, locking the hubs, putting it in 4wd and get someone in the cab to give it a little gas while you CAREFULLY inspect from the front. The reason i said putting it in 4wd is so it can move the axles/hubs, also for added safety you can even remove the tires so if for some reason it falls off the stands it wont just drive off. You might not get anything from this but its worth a try.

From the very begining you posted this I suspected the sway bar end links but I didn't say anything because I thought others here have more experience with the Pathys but generally speaking when you say a clunk happens when going over bumps it points to a loose/bad sway bar link. Of course, not always but generally that's all it is.

They're cheap to replace ($25 at Autozone) but you can also disconnect both end links (don't disconnect just one or you'll wreck your CV boots) and see if you still have the problem. The only issue with this method is that the end link bolts are usually a one time use item, they get pretty messed up when you loosen them so you may have to replace the links anyway. Although sometimes you get lucky and the end link nut come off easily.

People did mention the end links but he said they seem fine and the nut was tight. Although like you mentioned it is worth a try to remove both and see if it eliminates the problem.

Have you checked your ball joints? I had a bad clunk at one point, and my ball joints were completely shot. When i had the truck jacked up with load on the suspension (jack under the lower control arm) I could shake the wheel and pinpoint the noise to the ball joints.

• Like 1

Have you checked your ball joints? I had a bad clunk at one point, and my ball joints were completely shot. When i had the truck jacked up with load on the suspension (jack under the lower control arm) I could shake the wheel and pinpoint the noise to the ball joints.

Thats whats weird, all the joints of any kind look fine. Nothing leaking.

The only thing that is visually blown is the CV's and those i've known about for a while now.

I'm gonna check that on mine. I'm hearing a clunk from a dead stop or over bumps on the passenger side. I've got new sway bar links, sway bar bushings, lower control arms, cv axles, springs, struts. I'm thinking my lower ball joint or top mounts. Top mounts looked good when I did my suspension...

Check on the rear suspension also.

I had a bad clunk I thought was coming from the front, turned out to be the rear.

I've been leaning towards something like that,

What specifically was your clunk and what was the solution?

I have been told that my rear control arm bushings are blown. Never thought it would cause a bad clunk.

Also, did you have the issue while going over bumps? Thats mainly why i think its from the front, because when i go over a bump, it has a faint clunk.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely look into it.

-Kyle

Bad bushings in the rear control arms would definitely make a thud but almost always when getting on or off the gas...initially only when you do it abruptly but as they deteriorate more even in normal driving.

I've been leaning towards something like that,

What specifically was your clunk and what was the solution?

I have been told that my rear control arm bushings are blown. Never thought it would cause a bad clunk.

Also, did you have the issue while going over bumps? Thats mainly why i think its from the front, because when i go over a bump, it has a faint clunk.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely look into it.

-Kyle

If it's the rear it could be your sway bar bushings.. Those can start to crumble away with time.

Get under the truck and just start shaking things in the rear and see if you can find it. (upper/lower trailing arms, sway bar/links, panhard rod etc.)

I think mine we're the sway bars- the little suspension bars in the rear. One wasn't even bolted anymore, so was clunking when I came to a stop, then clunked again when I started again.

It was really bizarre because I could feel the "clunk" in the brake pedal. I was thinking all kinds of things- brake pads, rotors, front suspension slop. I couldn't figure it out...local tire shop found the problem and changed out all the sway bars (again the little bars, not the big control arms which cause the death wobble). My terminology might be off, hence the description...

I bought a pair of the lower control arms w/the bushings allready installed. That's a project for springtime.

• 1 month later...

Mine ended up being a ball joint.. Threw me for a loop.. I couldn't find the issue after getting the truck jacked up. Then I stumbled on it when I was leaning on the tire I inspecting the suspension and found the give. The ball joint had over a half inch of play.. I'm uber glad I found it. And an easy fix too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• 7 months later...

Pretty sure the clunk is sway bar link drivers side. Hope to replace soon. Trying to gather up all the parts I want to replace on the front suspension. Front control arm bushings looked cracked, need to see if I can replace bushings only. Entire control arm is quite pricey and doesnt appear to include balljoints....

I'm going through this same issue now and am about to change the front differential mount bushings. I think Nissan calls them the Front Final Drive Mounting Cushions...I had to buy the whole bracket for my drivers side which is roughly $100 because they don't have just the bushings. I just jammed a pry bar up in there and gave it a wiggle and there is clearly more play then on the other side. I hope this fixes my issue because I cannot find anything else loose that would cause a clunk going over bumps... you might want to check this out also.

• 3 weeks later...

All the parts I have ordered from Rob have been Super Quick!!!

ferrari, did you ever find the clunk? Almost positive mine was from sway bar link. Also replaced control arms, balljoints, inner and outer tie rods, front swaybar bushings. All other parts pretty loose.

Never found it, it was one of those "ignore it long enough and it will eventually go away" kinds of things.

I only get a slight reference to it when backing into my parking space at my house at i stop a little fast when going in reverse and the front end dips ever so slightly. But never when i'm driving, but i don't drive pathy that much anymore, shes a gas HOG!

-Kyle