Oil pump replacement (VG30E)

NissanNismoZ

Just wondering has anyone done it?

Mine, which I blamed the FMS leaking, it was really the oil pump. Upon looking at it and Cleaning it off, I discover its cracked! I usually only have to put a qt of oil in it about once a month or so but I'd like to fix this before it gets worse.

Is there a procedure that would make it easier to replace? I can't seem to find one in the FSM..

But I did buy a new FMS. And will be getting a junk yard oil pump as I can't afford one new. What else should I replace while I'm down there or what else should I need..any pointers? Thanks! (More or less I'm asking is out something I should tackle myself or save up and have a shop do it?)

When I had the JDM engine installed in my hardbody we used the oil pump from a 300zx, it was supposed to be a higher volume, but no clue on replacing it I had my buddy who was a mechanic do everything.

The turbo automatic 300ZX oil pump is higher volume but they have a different style face to them, so you'd need to run the older pre-86 timing belt covers and water pump as well. On top of that they are always on back order or not available for some time...

I have a W-series with about 30K miles on it laying around...

Even if you pull the engine you still have to drop the front diff. It's pretty sucky how it all fits together up there. Drop the diff, drop the oil pan, remove the oil pick up tube, the crank pulley, all front covers, timing belt, crank gear, woodruff keys, and unbolt the oil pump. If the crank gear is stuck on there let it soak on PB Blaster for a day, it should loosen up a lot. Sometimes they slide right off and other times there is no way unless you cut it off. Being as you're in the mid 90s it should pop right off.

Get a new pick up tube gasket!

Edited by Kingman

WOW. There is a lot to it..found a VG30e sitting that slung a piston in the jy and went about it. Said if I remove it myself its 10$. So I took the offer and spent around 30min. Getting it off. Didn't realize how much there is to it. I just don't feel comfortable messing with a vital part of the motor like that.. at all. So I'll definitely be having someone else do it..when the money provides. This oil pump looks fairly clean and didn't appear yo leak as the motor was clean on the exterior. Thanks guys for the info. I did not know it would require removing the diff..that's definitely way more than I consider myself able to to without forgetting something.. thank you! I appreciate you all. :)

WOW. There is a lot to it..found a VG30e sitting that slung a piston in the jy and went about it. Said if I remove it myself its 10$. So I took the offer and spent around 30min. Getting it off. Didn't realize how much there is to it. I just don't feel comfortable messing with a vital part of the motor like that.. at all. So I'll definitely be having someone else do it..when the money provides. This oil pump looks fairly clean and didn't appear yo leak as the motor was clean on the exterior. Thanks guys for the info. I did not know it would require removing the diff..that's definitely way more than I consider myself able to to without forgetting something.. thank you! I appreciate you all. smile.png

I feel like that is a really bad idea to use a pump from an engine that came apart. Metal debris and no oil pressure may have been the cause. Just because the pump casing looks fine doesn't mean it is. You need to take the pump apart and inspect it to see.

• 6 months later...

I managed to change the oil pump in my VG33 swapped WD21 last night. It can be done but you had better have the following on your side before you attempt it:

1) A very good assortment of tools including some you don't mind grinding/bending for the purpose.

2) A second set of hands to help with certain steps.

3) Superior ability to apply sealant to places where your fingers can not reach.

4) A very good ability to bolt things together that you cannot see, only touch with your fingertips.

If you question your ability to provide any of these things . . . pull the motor or you will end up with bad things in your oil pan which will leak badly because it it isn't sealed properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Correction to my previous post . . . I managed to change the oil pump in my VG33 swapped WD21 last night without pulling the engine or front axle.

I managed to change the oil pump in my VG33 swapped WD21 last night.