RE4R01A transmission interchange?

98greenmachine

Hi, I'm new to this outfit and I'm working on 2 different 98's. I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild on my 4x4, but I also need to replace a tranny in my 2wd, that I hope to use for a commuter. Has anyone swapped a 2wd tranny from a Frontier or pickup? Parts yards that I've asked are saying that it has to be from '96 - '99 2wd Pathfinder. The online interchange says they have the same model of tranny, though.

I get it that 2wd & 4wd won't swap, but I'd think that others would swap and maybe just have to change some elect connections, etc.

I'm hoping someone may have been there and done that. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for the reply. I thought that would be the case and that maybe they're were slight changes because of OBDII.

I'll crawl under a pickup at the boneyard and make a close comparison to the one in mine. I wasn't having much luck looking elsewhere online.

The vehicle is too nice to scrap, but with almost 300k on the clock, I hate spend the money on a rebuild. I've read about the rear band

problems that those tranny's and that I should use he factory transmission fluid.

• 3 years later...

GRRR.... I am now getting ready to pay my faithful mechanic to put #3 in my beloved 95 Pathfinder ( her name is Patti, by the way) :excl: Here is what I was able to find on the transmission exchange. These are all 4X4 models, so if plug and go is correct then any of these should work?? Pick n Pull has started moving the Pathfinders to the Premier Side and I paid an extra $30 for a 1 year warranty. I need to find and get the tranny in quick so I can make sure it's good before I have to buy a Premier Membership at approx $300. Seriously, I'm not sure my pockets can go much deeper here :/ HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!! Definitely feeling like a Damsel in Distress!!!

Can anyone verify that what I found here is true??? It sure would give me a LOT more choices

Automatic Transmission Application Guide

www.txexchange.com 1/18/16
Model Years Transmission Type Engine Type/Size Transmission Model
QX4 97-03 4 SP 4X4 V6 3.3L 3.5L RE4R01A INFINITY
PICKUP 90-934 SP 4X4L4 2.6LR4A-EL RE4R01A MAZDA
FRONTIER 99-04 4 SP RWD/4X4 V6 3.3L RE4R01A NISSAN
FRONTIER 98-04 4 SP RWD L4 2.4L RL4R01A NISSAN
PICKUP/PATHFINDER 88-98 4 SP 4X4 V6 3.0/3.3L RE4R01A NISSAN
XTERRA 00-04 4 SP RWD/4X4 V6 3.3L RE4R01A NISSAN