NEED HELP FOR STRANDED PATHY IN SACRAMENTO

gubbins

Hey all,,,,got an issue with a guy who is stuck in Sacramento on the way to Scottsdale.

He pulled in to a gas staion to fill up ( he was sucking fumes) put 16 gallons in,and now the car will not start!! He can hear the fuel pump whirring,coil to distrubutor seems fine,and he poured a little gas into the throttle body,but needs some help from someone with more experience than me!!

If anynone can help,his cellphone is 916-212-8215,and his name is jon......he is on here but i forget his user name..!!!!

Cheers....

Try getting another fuel filter. Looks like the sediments from the tank may have been sucked up from running low.

How does this make any sense? Fuel is being constantly sucked in from the bottom of the tank. Any sediment would always be "sucked through" no matter if your tank is full or you're running on fumes.

Fuel filters generally do not cause starting or idle issues, but it wouldn't hurt to replace it regardless.

Yes and no. When there is plenty of fuel in the tank, the sediments get mixed around. When the tank gets low, there is not much fuel left to spread out the sediments so they tend to just bunch together and can clog things. Also, the sock on the bottom is not as fine grained as the fuel filter.

The pump can take a huge hit with low fuel too. The fuel cools the fuel pump and if there is very little fuel left in the fuel tank the fuel pump can fry itself.

Hey guys thanks for all the help we made to Scottsdale last night just fine. pathy never over heated. Grubbins thanks for putting the word out. The truck was so empty when we stopped to fill up while leaving sacramento, that the fuel injectors seized closed so after two hours of trying to start it. I tap on the injector housing with a screw driver and away we went

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yes and no. When there is plenty of fuel in the tank, the sediments get mixed around. When the tank gets low, there is not much fuel left to spread out the sediments so they tend to just bunch together and can clog things. Also, the sock on the bottom is not as fine grained as the fuel filter.

The pump can take a huge hit with low fuel too. The fuel cools the fuel pump and if there is very little fuel left in the fuel tank the fuel pump can fry itself.

So true, Tungsten,what most people don't know is that the fuel cools the fuel pump and also most importantly it lubricates the the pump no fuel or low fuel can indeed fry the fuel pump.
  • Like 1

Glad it was an easy fix! I had not heard of injectors sticking shut like that, I'll have to keep it in mind. I have often fixed things by eventually banging on them out of frustration so I can see how that would work. :D

I didn't read this until today and I am 100 miles away so I wouldn't have been much help.

I was afraid it was the timing belt. :hide:

B

Sorry to hear of the brief delay in sacto. I live in sacto area, and besides seeing this thread so late, I wouldn't have been able to help much other than stare at the rig :-P

Nonetheless, glad it worked out and you were able to get back on the road.

Sent from TapaAtrix

Ok so just an update. Again we are here and doing good but we have found I have an oil leak from somewhere. So any Phoenix guys wanna come over and help find it beers are on me .lol 1500 square foot garage so we would be in shade the whole time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

/\This, and try to wipe off any runs you can, as far as you can, then dust with baby powder. It will stick and make it obvious what is recent and the direction is came from.

Sorry Bud, no matter how nice your hanger garage is, I'm not going to Phoenix to see it. :D

B

• 3 weeks later...