Welding front axel?

Ok I been reading about ppl welding there front diff. Will it hurt it or not? Has anybody on here welded there front diff? Was thinking of a sas. I went mudding up on Aetna mountain and notice that the freewheel locking hubs sucks. I plan on welding my rear like to know from you guys who has more xp then me on this matter.

Ok, I think you might have two things confused here.

Welding your front diff will have no effect on your freewheeling hubs.

There is nothing wrong with the freewheeling hubs, they just weren't designed for serious off roading. Most members swap them for WARN or similar branded free wheeling hubs.

Welding your front diff is a bad idea to me. That's permenant, no going back. Plus, a welded diff is only as strong as you are skilled in welding. Of course if you or the welder is knowledgable, this is not a factor.

Not to mention steering would be unpleasent. I recommend a set of selectable lockers, locked when you need it, open when you dont. This way you have no effect on you street driing at all. Speaking of which...

How often will you be on the street? That will make a difference as to whether welding the front and rear is for you IMO.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

Welding your front differential is dangerous. the steering wheels are meant to rotate at different speeds. it's how you turn! When the differential is welded, they will turn at the same speed. in a sense, you loose the ability to steer.

• 1 year later...

Without some form if hydraulic assist or full hydraulic steering, it would be terrible on an IFS rig. Offroad you would Likely end up leaving one hub unlocked to be able to turn.

What about the 300zx limited slip?

Welding the front end has been done: :clickdalink:

Sounds like it's great in some situations and a PITA the rest of the time.

The LSD sounds like a better option IMO, although apparently it's not easy on the front end either.

I suspect hydro steer would just kill the joints quicker.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Sorry it's a bit off topic but has anyone done hydrolic assist on a pathfinder? Using the factory steering box?

Yes it can be done on a factory nissan box I have one that I got from a buddy in az I believe nissannut or some one has a thread on how to do it?

Get manual hubs, then you can weld the front shut with no issues. I have seen this on multiple rigs. The rear will chirp and eat tires on the road if you weld it shut. Just read up on how open VS locked differentials work and you will see. Also don't use Mile Marker hubs. heres why

DSC01711-1.jpg

You're probably making fairly tight turns off road at low speed, increasing the difference in ground traveled for each tire, which (due to the locked diff) is stuck at 1:1. So you're fighting the steering against the drivetrain, unless the surface is loose/slick enough that the tires just slip.

I just put a set of those Mile Markers on my rig... what killed yours?

Welding your front differential is dangerous. the steering wheels are meant to rotate at different speeds. it's how you turn! When the differential is welded, they will turn at the same speed. in a sense, you loose the ability to steer.

Not if the shafts are disengaged.