End of the line for my '92 Path

92Path_68CJ

Well gang, I don' think I've ever really introduced myself here, so I guess an intro is in order first.

I own a 1992 Pathfinder SE automatic, it was owned by my dad before me, he purchased it new off the dealer lot in 1992. It's been in the family for 20 years. Around 4 or 5 years after he bought it, he sold it to my aunt. The well cared for car was then beat to hell in Utah for years, tackling blizzards and storms in the name of skiing. In 2001, we bought it back, and it was ours again ever since.

But that time in Utah wasnt kind to the car. The leather interior was stained and ripped up, the floor dirty, the factory rackbars replaced with Yakama crossbars. It's been our 4x4 ever since. We've done black diamond trails all over socal, and even gave John Bull a try, all with factory running boards and no lift.

This morning, I took it in to get it smog checked. It failed

That in itself isnt so bad, but I can barely afford the gas, the a/c doesnt work anymore, it needs all new belts (including timing), new seat covers, tires, it's starting to get body rot under the rear seats. I just can't afford this car anymore. So I'm selling it to the state. I hope some of you understand what it's like to sell a car you've owned your whole life, its sure hard.

There will be some exterior parts availible in the coming weeks. I will post an add once they are for sale.

I don't really know where I was going with this, just venting dissapointment I guess.

If it ran for 20 years, it can run for 20 more. Those things you listed are not that hard to fix. I'm pretty sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands and fix it. How bad is the rot behind the seats?

They definetly aren't hard to fix, but it takes cash I don't have. The rot is bad enough that the metal has begun to take on a flakey layered consistancy. I forget to mention the trans is slipping bad, been rebuilt once, can't afford to rebuild or replace. The state of CA will buy it for more than I can get on the market here, so I'm just gonna sell off some of the parts, and then sell it to the state.

This was not an easy choice, I'm sure some of you know what it's like to sell a car you've owned for 20 years, its equally hard when its been there your whole life.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

I'm sorry to hear you have to get rid of it, but I understand. I can think of 2 vehicles that I got rid of because I didn't have the time/$/space to deal with the repairs needed myself. Look on the bright side, you had a great vehicle for 20 years and some time down the road when you are in a better position, you can pick up another one. There are still a lot of them out there, they aren't going away quickly...

Definitely make use of the Classified section here to make some coin and pass some parts along. Out of curiousity, how many miles on it and what is a 'factory snorkel'?

Peace.

B

Good question B,

The 92 has 233k miles on it, and for the record, I've never been unhappy with the car. All the problems I have had were related lack of maintenance and abuse from family members. I have already posted a classified add, I'll be working on it today.

I honestly don't even know what this thing is supposed to be myself (besides an air intake), but my dad and I always called it the factory snorkel, that's what it reminds us of. I'll have pics here after class today.

Ahh, ok! That is a resonator or something and purely exists for some obscure function. Most of us just ditch it, and that's backed by a master mechanic.

Check the end, it is capped and then feel underneath near where it attaches to the air box, there is a 'pinch' molded into the unit so there is no way it could be used to draw air. To be honest, I had no idea what it was when I first saw it, had to ask (still don't really know), and just got rid of it.

Thanks for the picture though. :aok:

If you don't mind me asking, what is California going to give you for it?

B

Many states have some sort of Clean Air Buy Back.

I dont know about CA, but here in TX there actually is a state program where the state will reimburse the cost of repairs to make the vehicle pass emissions.....might want to look into that there.

That's why I was asking. Last I knew they would pay to help with smog, but you pretty much had to be jobless to qualify for the income. I think California has been lowering emisssions on older vehicles to try to get rid of them (somebody on here had his smog from 2 years ago and the smog he did for this year) so I'm wondering what program that is. I know someone with a vehicle that could use a program like this buy back one.

I've vaguely heard of a buy back program years ago but didn't investigate it as I was so insulted. I have a 1978 VW Bug Cabriolet in my garage that I've been customizing slowly over the years. It's not a show car but its worth at least $5k as it sits and will be $8-10k when it is done; the DMV sent me a letter offering me $800 to get my old poluting crap off the road. Funny thing, the stock fuel injection system runs less efficiently than the 2.0 liter Porsche 914 motor with dual carbs that would be in it IF THEY LET ME!! Ehem, I digress...

Well, that was an easy google search... :lol:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/avrp/avrp.htm

B

I've vaguely heard of a buy back program years ago but didn't investigate it as I was so insulted. I have a 1978 VW Bug Cabriolet in my garage that I've been customizing slowly over the years. It's not a show car but its worth at least $5k as it sits and will be $8-10k when it is done; the DMV sent me a letter offering me $800 to get my old poluting crap off the road. Funny thing, the stock fuel injection system runs less efficiently than the 2.0 liter Porsche 914 motor with dual carbs that would be in it IF THEY LET ME!! Ehem, I digress...

http://www.arb.ca.go...g/avrp/avrp.htm

B

Well there you have it! Trogdor commented saying "but you pretty much had to be jobless to qualify for the income".

It helps that my mom and I are jobless currently.

http://www.arb.ca.go...g/avrp/avrp.htm

B

I had a 77 beetle with the port fuel injection on it. It ran great but got 15 mpg! :blink: When the second $80 fuel pump relay burned up I pulled the injection and put a set of duel webbers. A year or so later when one of the webbers needed a rebuild kit and I couldn't find one I just put a stock carb on it. Sold it a few years after that.

James