New struts, turning noise?

moto-m

Just recently had my local shop install new KYB struts, shocks, and strut mounts. It was not there before, but now I have a loud clunking noise when turning either direction. I have been having some steering issues before and after the new struts went in but did not start hearing the noise until after. My steering wheel seems to feel really loose and like I have to turn it farther than before to turn. Sometimes it feels like it is skipping, like the truck doesn't start turning until I have turned it pretty far. I can be going straight but the steering wheel is turned pretty severely in one direction. Weird part is sometimes it will be turned in the opposite direction while going straight again. I know I need to get this checked out soon but does anybody have any idea what it could be? Bad rack and pinion is my only guess. Would this account for the noise as well?

did they replace the strut bearing? im not sure how struts work... since i dont have them. lol. but make sure they did... might be the old bearings have play now that it has new struts? other than that other R50 owners will chime in/ :)

did they replace the strut bearing? im not sure how struts work... since i dont have them. lol. but make sure they did... might be the old bearings have play now that it has new struts? other than that other R50 owners will chime in/ :)

Yes the bearings were replaced.

I would check to make sure that the strut was assembled correctly. I believe there is a notch you can check on the lower spring perch that should be oriented to face towards the inner wheel well.

You could also have someone watch the spring while you turn to see if there is slippage.

Bad bearing? Yeah, I've heard this also except my new bearings (from Nissan) still clunk whenever I turn to the passenger side while at a stop or going very slowly. Still may be an issue, but new ones didn't fix my issue.

Good luck. If you actually find the issue, will you please post back up?

I would check to make sure that the strut was assembled correctly. I believe there is a notch you can check on the lower spring perch that should be oriented to face towards the inner wheel well.

You could also have someone watch the spring while you turn to see if there is slippage.

Bad bearing? Yeah, I've heard this also except my new bearings (from Nissan) still clunk whenever I turn to the passenger side while at a stop or going very slowly. Still may be an issue, but new ones didn't fix my issue.

Good luck. If you actually find the issue, will you please post back up?

I believe there is only one way the struts can be assembled, correct?

Sorry, from your first post the wording makes it seem like all parts are KYB.

Yes I should have been more clear. I have read the bad reviews about the KYB mounts/bearings. Couldn't find anything about the Gabriels but I know they make a lot of OEM stuff and tried to save some money.

I am also thinking the strut mounts are not oriented correctly......

bad bearings usually give you a rattleing noise going over bumps...the loose feel mentioned is more of a loose/improperly mounted strut mount.

Edited by Alkorahil

• 2 weeks later...

I changed out my struts and had very similar problems to yours. I put the strut bearing in the wrong place upon installation. I took everything apart and put the strut bearing in the correct place and all was good after that.

The problems I had were because of the friction due to there being no sliding bearing surface that is normally provided by the bearing.

• 1 month later...

I still haven't dived into this yet and have been driving it with the noise. I did just take the time to read through the strut/spring removal/installation instructions in the repair manual and noticed that there is a notch in the upper spring seat that the manual says to make sure it faces outwards (towards the sides of the vehicle). Well I took a look at mine and they are both facing exactly the opposite, towards the engine compartment. Pretty sure this is my problem, just hope it hasn't damaged anything yet.

Hoping that I will be able to leave the struts on the vehicle, jack it up, remove the wheels, use a spring compressor and then just turn the mounts to the correct orientation. Hope this can help others when replacing struts and springs.

The manual is wrong, the V notch has to face TOWARDS the engine, one of mine was put in wrong (facing towards the side of the vehicle) & I had all kinds of problems. I physically checked with my hand under the fender on several stock R50's that I saw in parking lots (in fact I nearly got arrested or beaten up several times! :laugh: ) & the notch on the top mount plate was facing the engine, etc. The top mount brackets will only fit one way as the holes are offset (there's also a mark on the top mounts that needs to face the engine, "L" for drivers side & "R" for passenger side). Make sure the end of the spring is seated in the little notch at the bottom, if it's not hard up against the end of the notch it could cause knocking. Try to take some photos of your struts in place, maybe we can figure it out. :itsallgood:

Edited by theexbrit