Battery preferences

westslope

I'm experiencing some electrical issues which might be caused by the battery. Replacing the current battery soon looks a real possibility. I wanted to get an idea of folks' preferences for batteries that are used in Pathfinders that do hard, pounding gravel roads and off-road.

Lead-acid? Gel? Sealed? Standard automotive? Deep cycle? Are there any brand names that stand out for reliability?

One of the best batteries I ever used was a Trojan deep cycle marine battery (Group 27) though a lot of people seem to think that running a deep cycle battery in the 1993 stock pathfinder is not such a good idea. In case it is of relevance, I should point out that I use deep cycle marine batteries (now size Group 24) with a 52lb. thrust saltwater electric motor on a canoe.

The current and possibly failing battery is a NAPA hybrid starter-deep cycle battery. I like the idea of paying more for thicker plates and, hopefully, greater longevity on rough, pounding roads. Must admit that I feel like I'm grasping at air when it comes understanding batteries.....

Thoughts?

Napa batteries should come from us batteries...those r pretty good batteries...I know from data I've seen they r better than the Trojans and most agm batteries but these were in 48 and 72v ev setups...I just use whatever is cheap at the parts store and typically don't have issues for the 3 year life cycle

I use batteries from Walmart, I usually ask for one for a full size Ford as they fit and have a higher CCA and reserve, last time I asked for the Ford battery it was the same number that was listed for the Nissan.

I have a red top optima in my rig. I swiped it out of a used car(Xterra) over 7 years ago. I have had absolutely no issues in that time. I have only a few extra added electrical items(stereo, cb, ect). It handles everything I have thrown at it. I don't really recommend a deep cycle battery, as they operate differently than a regular battery. Unless you have lots of load on it, your just going to kill if faster than its designed for.

I had a Optima Red in my 2WD Hardbody back when they only cost 110 bucks. I still kick myself for not taking it out when I sold it. Johnson Controls makes a bunch of batteries resold under different labels (including Wal Mart) and even Optima. When the time comes ( My Pathfinder has a battery from the old Kragen..now Oreillys... made in Feb 2003 in it and its still kicking) I'll probably buy a battery at Wal Mart because they have stores everywhere, are usually open 24 hours, so its easy to warranty out even when your on a road trip.

You can get pretty good deals on batteries if you order online from Advance Auto and pick-up in store. CCABIN is $40 off $100. Just make sure you get the "freshest" battery off the shelf if you can, find the one with the newest date code sticker. I don't recall who makes AAP's batteries.

I've had an Interstate battery for a couple years now and it's been fine. I might go with an AAP battery when this one needs replacement.

I've used walmart batteries in my quest and haven't had one last more than 3 years. I always got the best one they offered. My pathfinder had a little autozone battery in it when I bought it in 2010 and it just doesn't seem to want to quit. I put a optima yellow top in my titan 3 years ago and it's holding up good. It sits a lot since I got my pathfinder and it always starts right up. Most important though I haven't cleaned the post since I put it in there. I'm thinking of a diehard AGM for the pathy when it needs one.

James

You can get pretty good deals on batteries if you order online from Advance Auto and pick-up in store. CCABIN is $40 off $100.

I've had an Interstate battery for a couple years now and it's been fine.

I wish I had an Advance Auto Parts near....they always have good deals.

I like Interstate for their warranty. A truck at work was bought with an Interstate battery, who knows how old and how many owners, it died and we took it in to the local Interstate shop. Runs a number off it, gives me $36 towards a new battery no questions.

I have a Optima Yellow Top in my current WD21 that I bought used 3 years ago. Works great so if you are willing to pony up, you can't loose in my book.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/products/yellowtop/

In the past I have found Sears Diehard and Interstate batteries to be consistenty reliable, well warrantied and fairly priced. I'm not sure if you have easy access to them or not...

B

Wal-mart EverStart brand. I have 1 battory for my boat, pathfinder and impala. Its a deepcycle Everstart. I'll get the specs on it later. Before that the boat had twin napa's that died after a year. The pathfinder had a green and white one. I think it was a AllState and it lasted until late 2010. It was punched for like 05. Could of been a Diehard.

650 max with a cold crank amp of 500. Its a little tike. never had a problem with it though. Going on 3 years old.

Edited by nismothunder

I have a Optima Yellow Top in my current WD21 that I bought used 3 years ago. Works great so if you are willing to pony up, you can't loose in my book.

http://www.optimabat...ucts/yellowtop/

In the past I have found Sears Diehard and Interstate batteries to be consistenty reliable, well warrantied and fairly priced. I'm not sure if you have easy access to them or not...

B

I believe the Sears Diehards are available here.

I like the idea of the starter/deep cycle Optima Yellowtop. Only $30 more than the Red Top.

BENEFITS OF THE YELLOWTOP®:

Deep-cycle and cranking power

Up to two times longer life

More than 15 times the vibration resistance

Completely spillproof, mountable in virtually any position

Maintenance-free

Faster recharging

Optimal starting power

300+ discharge/recharge cycles

• Like 2

Sears Die-Hard Platinum are supposed to be rebadged Odyssey batteries...even if they aren't I've heard nothing but good stuff about them. Do a google search on them.

I run one. The best part about them is that they are AGM. I refuse to run any other type of battery in my vehicles. AGM car battery > any other car battery

The best benefit of AGM is that you will never have corrosion around the terminals again for as long as you own the vehicle. These batteries will probably outlast your vehicle too! It's an expensive investment but very well worth it in the long run if you care about your vehicle.

Didn't Optima switch manufacturers a few years ago and their newer batteries have turned to @!*% as a result?

Some are supposedly made in china. Some of the issues also have to due with what battery is used where and for what application. Getting the right battery with pleanty of cold cranking amps is key. Cheap is not better.

The pathfinder had a green and white one. I think it was a AllState and it lasted until late 2010. It was punched for like 05. Could of been a Diehard.

Interstate colors are green and white, I don't know if any other brand has the same color scheme...

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Vehicle

B

The optima's went up so much in price over the years, way more than normal inflation. When they first came out I owed a buddy some money and bought him a yellow top instead and it was about $100, now I see them going for around $180.

I think everyone has had there own experiences with what ever batteries, some times you get a bad one even if it is "the best battery that everyone recommends", I always use batteries from Walmart as was said already they are readily available, if you have a problem you can find a walmart basically anywhere, and even living down here in too hot Florida they seem to last just as long as any other battery.