Brake Job

Semperpathy

It has been a while since I have been on here so here it goes. I need to change my brakes front and rear. Can anyone tell me what I will need? I know I need drums, rotors, pads and shoes. Do I need to change the bearings and races? If so which ones do I change? I am going to buy the stuff that I need through Rock Auto. Thanks for the help.

It has been a while since I have been on here so here it goes. I need to change my brakes front and rear. Can anyone tell me what I will need? I know I need drums, rotors, pads and shoes. Do I need to change the bearings and races? If so which ones do I change? I am going to buy the stuff that I need through Rock Auto. Thanks for the help.

This is a good Q, since it makes me think. I believe that the front rotors are acutally a Hub mount system (IE the hub,rotor and bearings are 1 sealed unit)

If you need rotors and it is indeed a hub centric system then you simply need too buy new hubs.

If not, no you do not need too buy new front bearings unless you are having a problem. You could check them for wear and repack them with new grease (of your choice as long as its EP 2)

As far as the rear drums. Nope, nothing majorly hard. You could check for any seapage from the axle seals and even replace them as preventive maintance (not hard, it seems like a big job when you first do it)

It you dont have the little pipe spring compressure tool I would advise getting one. It makes the job 1000 times easier then trying to remove/replace the springs on the rear with pliers

Why do you think you need new rear brake hardware, and new bearings?

The rear drums on my 135k mile Pathfinder have like 60% life remaining. Just remove the drums, then clean everything using brake cleaner, lubricate any contact points as required, and adjust the shoes, then adjust the parking brake.

If your bearings are good, just regrease both and install new inner bearing grease seals and you'll be good in that regard. Use a high quality synthetic grease like Valvoline SynPower which is commonly found at parts stores, or Amsoil synthetic multi-purpose grease (which I was lucky to find at my local NAPA).

There is a DIY guide on front pads, rotors & outer wheel bearings on NICOclub. Basically the only thing that might be difficult about the process is tightening the wheel bearing lock washer since you may require a special tool, or you can just use a screwdriver + hammer or a pair of lock ring pliers maybe.

Also see the BR section of your year's factory service manual for torque specs.

If you haven't flushed your brake fluid in the past two years, do so after the brake job and then repeat every 2 years.

Getting the bearing preload on the front wheels correct is not easy. You can get it "close enough" but it will likely not be right.

There is a convoluted procedure in the FSM. I made the mistake of taking it to a shop instead of doing it myself, and the wheel had a noticeable wobble. Of course, it can also be overtightened and it will burn up.

• 9 months later...

IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP! I'm tackling this job right now and have stripped both of the screws holding in the wheel bearing lock nut. Can anyone offer some advice on what to do? I feel like I'm so close to getting everything off, but stripping those screws has put an abrupt halt to my plans. Please help if you can! Should I drill those screws out?.... Ive never done that before, please help!

There is a DIY guide on front pads, rotors & outer wheel bearings on NICOclub. Basically the only thing that might be difficult about the process is tightening the wheel bearing lock washer since you may require a special tool, or you can just use a screwdriver + hammer or a pair of lock ring pliers maybe.

I'm following this DIY guide.

Can you grab them with a basic wrench? They shouldn't be too torqued on there. I've removed these multiple times and have had trouble with one screw - it's almost "stripped".

EDIT - was picturing grabbing it with a needle nose pliers or similar.

Edited by Rick13

Is there any description how to remove drums and adjust rear breakes?

Why do you think you need new rear brake hardware, and new bearings?

The rear drums on my 135k mile Pathfinder have like 60% life remaining. Just remove the drums, then clean everything using brake cleaner, lubricate any contact points as required, and adjust the shoes, then adjust the parking brake.