2012 Rubicon

Pathmaker95

I got to have one! I know how some of you guys feel about jeepers, but in January or February when they lower the price on the '12s I will be buying one. I want the 4 door so the wife and kids can comfortably fit. It is by far the most off-road capable vehicle you can buy today. Comes stock with Dana 44's front and back both with lockers. 4 to 1 rock crawl ratio and the new motor has 85 more horsepower. I still love my pathfinder, and will take it places I don't want to take a new $40,000 jeep. But it is far more capable stock than most SAS Pathfinders.

I'm more of a CJ guy myself.

I've been equally as capable as most stock JKs, so far.

That being said, the 2012 4 doors are nice, watch out for that recall on the 3.8 heads.

Oh, and I sure hope the overall crawl ratio is better than 4:1 .

• Like 1

I have owned a lot of wheeler's including a jeep or two but I would strongly disagree on the fact that it is far more capable then a SAS pathfinder. You have already become a typical jeep owner and you don't have one yet. They are nice and capable, would be even better if they put the diesel from the liberty in it, but I have never met anyone that would actually follow me through a rough trail in one( that did not cost 60-80K). I'm not trying to sling mud being this isnt one of those other 4x4 forums. By the time you were to make it capable enough to follow most SAS pathfinder you would be into it at least another 10k over invoice. That is a lot of money for anything that you would take offroad and scratch up.

• Like 1

You have already become a typical jeep owner and you don't have one yet.

I think it's more about knowing the limits of your vehicle.

The Pathfinder is a very capable vehicle.

The JKs are very capable vehicles.

However, they both would most likely shine in different areas in their stock forms.

The level of confidence the driver has with the limits of his vehicle helps, and his overall knowledge of wheeling imo.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

My pathy is being SASd right now...so I wheel with jeeps...I've basically built my buddies Rubicon and in fact broke it last week (he stuttered on the throttle and dumped the front end bending the center link)

Now that being said we went with a 2011 jk on 35s and he had a lot more issues with the wheelbase...and IMHO its not a family safe vehicle for day to day use ESP side impacts...

Also its not a true d44 up front its a beefed up 30

Off the line in the us its is probably the most capable 2012 production vehicle...I've taken my 87ifs Nissan thru the same stuff I've spotted stock rubis thru...once I'm SASd and doubled and locked up front ill go places a Rubicon on 35s will have trouble doing...my buddy already knows when mine gets back on the trail all the @!*% talking (he jokes with me) its game on...he used to be a Nissan guy but now loves his heeps but can't stand a lot of Heep owners BC they're dicks lol

Got to agree with these guys. On our last run, a buddy with a decent amount of wheeling experience brought out his 2012 rubi 4dr. Completely stock, it had a harder time through the trail than my pathy on 33's with rear locker. That being said, he now has a small lift and 35's. Probably a game changer! We will see, I'm glad someone is making an offroad biased vehicle these days, but for the cost? No way I would buy one.

• Like 1

I am back and forth on it. I hate to get another note of about 600 a month, but I do like them. Like I said I love my pathy, and if it was more capable (SAS and 35's) I might not pursue the new Jeep. The problem is I dont have the skills or tools to do it and the only guy I have found locally to do it didn't impress me. I want a very capable vehicle and it would be easier to just buy a new Rubicon.

If you have the $ and the itch, go for it. I suspect you'll get tired of the cost, cost to mod and cost to repair though. A fancy truck isn't fun on the trails, it's an anti-damage mission... ;)

For $10k you could set up an awesome pathfinder (with some help, obviously).

B

For $10k you could set up an awesome pathfinder (with some help, obviously).

B

You could do that task for $5k!! Plus, no "butt pucker" when driving through vines, scraping rocks, and bottoming out on stumps.

Could you ever get the money back out of the pathfinder though?

Nope, I'm guessing about 1/2. Still, then you only lose $5k for whatever fun you have with it over the years.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy/fix up a pathy or that pathfinders are best, I'm just pointing out much more economical options. 1 year of $600/mo is $7,200 and you already know the Pathy though, so that has to be considered. Hell, if you can afford it, live your dream!

Not helping, am I? :D

You could do that task for $5k!! Plus, no "butt pucker" when driving through vines, scraping rocks, and bottoming out on stumps.

Well, depends on what you pay for the vehicle to fix up. I'm assuming having 1 family pathy and one wheler pathy... ;)

B

Could you ever get the money back out of the pathfinder though?

Same as post below this one(quote)..answer is hell no...unless u r steevo...BC I would pay him more than what he's got in it...

My jeep buddy is joining npora BC he loves my truck...maybe love is an exagsrated term but def shares the passion...mine is custom and limited like all other pathos...jeeps r bolt on...his comment today was tj of the month is what he wants to so but he has less than 20 posts BC they frown on that BC most people with less than 100 don't wheel their @!*%...I beg to differ...but he's not a jeep dick and understands jeeps..Nissan's...fords...Chevy...dodges...Isuzu...etc...same as me...I can give u @!*% but u can so the same to me...to each their own and lets wheel it...

Gone accepted him with open arms and it was awesome

Edited by unccpathfinder
  • Like 1

Here is the guy unccpathfinder is talking about. To be honest I don't always enjoy being lumped into that "heeper" category, but it is an unfortunate side effect when you drive something with a seven slotted grill. In all of my wheeling, yes I was the only jeep at GONE I can safely say jeeps are very capable off road vehicles, you can't go wrong with a wrangler for an out of the box offroad vehicle. Additionally, if you have any experience building up a pathy you'll make one heck of a jeep. Enjoy the smile that dropping the top on the only four door convertible out there gives you.

^ forgot about the Russians in the rental thatstole the longest distance traveled over us...but I guarantee their trip.was easier than ours...but yea I will wheel.with anyone willing to learn...and earn respect out of a rig...took an fj places an fj prob shouldn't go but ifs training got him there which comes.with able and willing and trusting complete strangers to get u there...ill havee to relearn my rig and so will my spotter (sksurfs and the ole lady) but wheeling is Wheeling...learn it...love it...clean up other folks trash and keep it open

I could have sworn that the murano crosscabriolet was supposed to be a 4-door...oh well everyone hates them anyway lmao

(although id love to have one to take out on the beach for a week because racecar)

If you want a Wrangler, you have to go for the 2011 model year. So far it seems to have been the most successful one. Also, DO NOT get the automatic transmission. You really want the manual transmission because the automatic equipped ones have been involved in literally just burning down. It's a pretty capable truck for sure but it's not really my cup of tea. I would rather have a well built WD21 for all that money. Of course, if you don't have the time and just want a factory 4x4 with warranty, the 2011 would be the Jeep thing to stick to.

If you want a Wrangler, you have to go for the 2011 model year. So far it seems to have been the most successful one. Also, DO NOT get the automatic transmission. You really want the manual transmission because the automatic equipped ones have been involved in literally just burning down. It's a pretty capable truck for sure but it's not really my cup of tea. I would rather have a well built WD21 for all that money. Of course, if you don't have the time and just want a factory 4x4 with warranty, the 2011 would be the Jeep thing to stick to.

As I recall (don't quote me on this) the burning down stemmed from brake line issues.

Also, make sure its a 3.8. You'd regret the 3.6 in a four door.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

As I recall (don't quote me on this) the burning down stemmed from brake line issues.

Why? The 3.6 has 85 more horsepower and better gas mileage.

I talked it over with the wife last night and I'm thinking about buying a used jeep that has tons and locked front and back for offroad. Using my pathy as my work truck and some offroading until I find someone locally I feel could do a SAS on a pathy. Then me and the wife could take both together and never have to wheel alone again.

If I could find the room and expendable funds id buy a wrangler (personally a cheaper older beat the eff up yj, gotta follow that trend of frame rot prone vechiles!) though honestly it would end up being my dd while te pathfinder went under the knife to become some wicked badazz way too much money sunk into it machine. I know my wife wouldn't exactly be happy about it though as I told her the first things I would do (after needed repairs of course) is sell the doors and roof!