Replaced wheel bearings, now have squeak

trexterra

Just trashed the old bearings and put in some new, the old ones literally had mud in them. Didn't think that it would be a problem to re use the old races instead of trying to get them pressed out so I just greased em up and slapped em in there. There were no gouges or signs of wear on the races from what I could see. Now at ~20mph i'm getting a metal-ish sounding squeak. Am I an idiot for not replacing the races? Or did i possibly do something else wrong?

I think the old races weared together with the bearings and the squeaking noise might just be metal on metal contact as a result of unworn bearings. That's just a guess though, I may be completely wrong. What grease did you use?

If the bearings were that contaminated with mud, the entire bearing needs to be replaced, and the seals, too. Reusing the old races that were worn out has destroyed the new bearings you installed. You'll need a whole new setup. A brass punch and careful, gentle hammering, working slowing around each bearing race to keep it straight in the hub bore, you can remove and replace them yourself. Obviously, a press or a wheel bearing installation tool is preferable to the punch but it can be done. Don't use a steel punch or you'll distort the race, and you'll need new ones again. In a clutch, a short section of copper water pipe (1/2" or 3/4") can be used, but its hard to use as it distorts alot. Don't use the bearing cage to set the race. Hammer or press on the bearing cage, or they are instantly junk.

Edited by RJSquirrel

i've only driven about 5-10 miles with them in. I'm sure they are still fine, I plan on driving it to the shop on base to use the press and get the races out and do it right.