Park N Son cure?

N2mesnob

So I got this situation going on and it's not an alignment issue. I know this because my baby rides true no matter the speed, however 40 - 60 mph my steering wheel develops a case of the J.Fox (Parkinson’s) I talked to a mechanic and he seems to think that I need new tie rod ends? If this is true, if I remember correctly from an episode of Extreme 4x4 I can use Johnny joints for my tie rod ends? I'm in the process of tracking down that episode but I am also looking for some feedback as well. You know pros, cons, good, bad, better solution, wrong problem. You know constructive and helpful ideas, criticism, and or Or what i need to make this happen.

Before you put the cart before the horse, your tires balanced correctly? Thats usually the most common cause of a vibration that starts at one speed and diminishes with more speed (which is how i personally read the 40-60 comment, but ive been know to be wrong begore) generally a steering/suspension component will get worse with speed. I'd start with the cheap though, rotate the tires and see if the vibration goes to the rear or stats the same. If it moves it's a tire issue, if not its a suspension component issue (which is a good time to check for play anyway while you have it jacked up)

Thanks for the feedback guys I've been meaning to check the bearings but i keep putting it off cuz she still drive striaghteven when the steering wheel doesn't. But y'all are right should start chep and work my way up from there I've jus been so focused on getting the rest of the stuff i need to do up the front end in one shot.

How are your strut rod bushings?

The strut rod bushings are brand new jus changed them bout a month ago.

Even if it's not the solution I'm still thinking of doing the johnny joint idea (if i can ever find out what i need to make it happen) jus cuz I think the less bushins i have to deal with going bad the better for me :aok: but i'm always still open to feedback.

So what I've been calling johnny joints are also known as Heim joints. So far i found some for the 300ZX and the 240 but none for the Pathy. I found some talk bout the pros and cons and that it has been done before but no info on where to get it or how to custom it.

If johny joints were better than tie rods then Nissan would have originally used them. Tie rods are much better regardless of what you may have seen on the Internet or TV.

Check out these two threads for a stout steering system conversion:

http://www.nissanpat...tem-conversion/

http://www.nissanpat...teering-damper/

I have been running mine for a while now and it works just awesome.

Edited by Tungsten

If johny joints were better than tie rods then Nissan would have originally used them.

In that thinking that beat all mix of 2wd steering parts would have been installed from the factory as well :shrug:

It might be worth it to bug a couple of the fab guys around here (say GrandpaX and Steeevo for a pair of examples) that build and/or sell stuff a little more above the average upgrade. They can probably give you some good hands on insight

If johny joints were better than tie rods then Nissan would have originally used them. Tie rods are much better regardless of what you may have seen on the Internet or TV.

I hear what you are saying I don't plan on doing a lift but was jus thinking they would be more durable and adjustable if needed. But from what i found it's the same back and forth one group says itit's good especially for killing bump steer another says it's the same defference. So i'm not married to it but along with my previous statement jus thought it might be a cheap and simple project. Well you know what they say bout idle hands... :FartExplode-vi: and my problem is i have a ton of ideas and not enough money, time, space, and experince to get them all done right now. :headwall::lol:

In that thinking that beat all mix of 2wd steering parts would have been installed from the factory as well :shrug:

It might be worth it to bug a couple of the fab guys around here (say GrandpaX and Steeevo for a pair of examples) that build and/or sell stuff a little more above the average upgrade. They can probably give you some good hands on insight

They did! The center link would completely transfer over from 2WD to 4WD models if the adjusters were the same and if the outer tie rods were not angled on the 2WD models.

In fact it is the same setup that Toyota uses and they don't have steering issues with using larger tires.