what mechanical faliures to be expected when off-roading the R50

stioc

My 2001 is 11 years old and as much as I'd love to replace every bit of it with newer parts it's just not feasible. So the next best thing is to fix/replace the weakest links.

So far on my to-do list (stock 2001 Pathfinder SE 4x4):

1. Warn Hubs - done

2. Fluids (engine, transmission, diffs, transfer case) - done

3. OME springs - on order

4. KYB shocks - on order

5. New rear trailing arms - on order

6. Fuel filter - have to order still

This is pretty much all I've done/intend-to-do to it. Is there anything else I may be overlooking? The radiator has a "08" sticker on it, assuming that's 2008 I'm probably ok there but should change the coolant and potentially the thermostat too?

I have a clunk when getting on/off gas especially in 1st-2nd shift, could be the u-joint? Are these a common failure? What about the CVs? tie-rods? fuel-pump?

Again in an ideal world I'd replace them all but for now if I could only concentrate on a couple of things my checkbook will be get a much needed break :D

Grease the driveshafts every oil change (any NLGI #2 lithium soap base grease w/ molybdenum disulphide; Valvoline DuraBlend or SynPower is cheap and readily available), change out the brake fluid (DOT3 or DOT4 fluid only) & power steering fluid (use a turkey baster or suction gun for the PSF, use synthetic ATF as its replacement, do this a few times with a couple days of driving in between to exchange most of the fluid; recycle old PSF at any place that takes used oil).

Yes, change the coolant and thermostat (use an OEM one). What color coolant is in the overflow reservoir?

Just get a Wix 33023 or NAPA Gold 3023 for the fuel filter. Be sure to release fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse behind the coin tray and starting the engine, then waiting for it to die. Remove the spare tire to have more room for the change. Use a drain pan to catch gasoline that will come out of the fuel lines and old filter. The fuel pump isn't a preventative maintenance item.

This is more just common sense. Make sure your battery hold down is in place and tight. I was on the rubicon trail a couple weeks ago and a guys battery shorted out on his hood by bouncing around with no hold down. Could of happened to anyone.

Water pump on my 98 broke at 153 miles, not sure if it was ever replaced prior to our ownership or not. Didnt go out on me wheeling but it would suck none the less. Preventative maintenance!

Grease the driveshafts every oil change (any NLGI #2 lithium soap base grease w/ molybdenum disulphide; Valvoline DuraBlend or SynPower is cheap and readily available), change out the brake fluid (DOT3 or DOT4 fluid only) & power steering fluid (use a turkey baster or suction gun for the PSF, use synthetic ATF as its replacement, do this a few times with a couple days of driving in between to exchange most of the fluid; recycle old PSF at any place that takes used oil).

Yes, change the coolant and thermostat (use an OEM one). What color coolant is in the overflow reservoir?

Just get a Wix 33023 or NAPA Gold 3023 for the fuel filter. Be sure to release fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse behind the coin tray and starting the engine, then waiting for it to die. Remove the spare tire to have more room for the change. Use a drain pan to catch gasoline that will come out of the fuel lines and old filter. The fuel pump isn't a preventative maintenance item.

Thanks for the tips, will do! The coolant color is green.

This is more just common sense. Make sure your battery hold down is in place and tight. I was on the rubicon trail a couple weeks ago and a guys battery shorted out on his hood by bouncing around with no hold down. Could of happened to anyone.

Not a bad idea to check, thanks.

Water pump on my 98 broke at 153 miles, not sure if it was ever replaced prior to our ownership or not. Didnt go out on me wheeling but it would suck none the less. Preventative maintenance!

Ouch! Is the waterpump a big job i.e is it inside the timing chain cover or outside driven by the vbelts?

Routine maintenance, just keep that up and if you hear or feel weird stuff get it checked out. I have literally a couple of 1000 of offroad KMs on my 97 and have had no major failures.

But, make sure you have:

a properly inflated spare,

some duct tape,

seals all

self tapping screws

A couple of small pieces of light wieght sheet metal

spare oil

With the stuff above you can wrap up a cut CV boot, seal a small hole in a fuel tank or oil pan, big problems are much harder to deal with and require a lot of gear.

Have a sleeping bag and a couple of days of food and water and a small camping stove

Lastly have a trip plan and make sure some one reliable has it.

With all that in place you are pretty much ok.

And go with good karma, stop to see if people who are broken down need a hand, can't hurt and it may work out for you if you break down.

Edited by rgallant

Go ahead and drain & fill the radiator with green coolant. It wouldn't hurt to replace the thermostat with an OEM one, but mine's factory and is still working just fine. Inspect your radiator cap following the instructions in this TSB and replace with a new OEM one if necessary.

Ouch! Is the waterpump a big job i.e is it inside the timing chain cover or outside driven by the vbelts?

It's under the plastic covers behind the belts. I did mine a couple of months ago & it's really not a big deal as long as you take the radiator out & hope that the crankshaft pulley nut comes undone without too much hassle.