Lifted pathfinder needs power

I have an 1988 pathfinder v6 lifted sitting on 35X15.50R15 baja claws and I need more power I turns the tires but its lacking umph I'd like to cam it while I have my motor out but the only cam I can find is a "euro" cam on 4x4parts.com ……… any ideas ?

even souping up the engine won't bring it back to how it was before the 35's you need to get the RPM's back closer to the stock range, gearing is the only way to do that. I had 35's on my 87 hardbody WAY back in the day and I thought it drove pretty good, mine had the stock 4.62 gears with the no OD auto.

Welcome to NPORA by the way, got any pics of your pathfinder?? We like to look at pictures.

Change the cams, ecu and re-gear. That may give you a stockish power level. Headers wouldnt hurt any ethier. Your on 35s so there is no chance ofit really having the power it used too. Plus your tires are 15 inch wide, they gotta weigh close too 300lbs a wheel. There really no way to do it.

Maybe nitrous? Surly a 50 shot wouldnt hurt, although I know you will up it until the motor blows. Its that fun.

If you want to do what the kool kids do, drop a GM plant in there. 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 what ever.

Or as Nunya said, only drive down hill with a tailwind.

Oh yeah, I hate my Claws, whats your feeling on yours.

Change the cams, ecu and re-gear. That may give you a stockish power level. Headers wouldnt hurt any ethier. Your on 35s so there is no chance ofit really having the power it used too. Plus your tires are 15 inch wide, they gotta weigh close too 300lbs a wheel. There really no way to do it.

Maybe nitrous? Surly a 50 shot wouldnt hurt, although I know you will up it until the motor blows. Its that fun.

If you want to do what the kool kids do, drop a GM plant in there. 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 what ever.

Or as Nunya said, only drive down hill with a tailwind.

Oh yeah, I hate my Claws, whats your feeling on yours.

stock vg30 cams are fine and the ECU isn't going to be a cheap mod and with very little improvement if any

headers might help a little but that needs a full exhaust to actually be functional

re-gear is the best because it would bring the rpms back into the proper efficiency curve

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33195-parting-out-95-se/

The above link is for a guy who is parting out his 95. You'll see he has 5.13 third member and 5.13 front axle for sale for $400. If you'll scroll through the post you'll see what the shipping was to Florida (i.e. to me). It'll probably be about the same to you in PA. Overall, its a good deal over buying new. I'm not 100% sure of the fitment between 88 and 95 but judging from 4x4parts.com you should be at least okay on the front (assuming you have V6?). The rear I'm not sure (according to 4x4parts.com 3 different gear sets depending on year), but maybe you could make it work.

Even if you can't make the rear work your still ahead cause a new set 5.14s from 4x4parts.com is $450 plus shipping. I looked through the thread and I don't where he's sold them. I didn't end up buying them cause I don't 'need' them and have other expenses I had to consider.

• 1 month later...

There are a few build threads. It's basically the same motor (except for the bore and water jacketing and a few other things), but you have to put the VG30 intake and electricals on it. You can replace the VG33's cams with the VG30's cams for a more aggressive lobe size (?). The front of the crankshaft is also different, so you'll need to either use the VG33 accessories, get an adaptor (Mr. 510 made them, but he seems to have been abducted by Martians), or use the VG30 crank in the 33. I've heard that the 33 out of a Frontier would be best, apparently the accessories are mounted in a way that works with the WD's engine bay, but I haven't done the measurements (or the swap!) myself.

There are several build threads on doing this mod. Also check this out, it goes way beyond a simple engine swap but if you skip the bits about boring the block and fitting new pistons, it should give you an idea of what you're up against.

• 1 month later...

vg33e swap, headers, exhaust, nice freeflowing intake... 4.63 gears with auto trans...im running 33x12.5s which balloon out to about 14" with the 15x10 steel rims (which weigh a ton as well) and I have better power now than I had stock. I run at around 1800 rpm going 105 down the freeway. the whole setup cost me less than 800$ all said and done. can be done very economically!