is my 99 se ready for off road?

r50ny

Hi NPORA members,

im a first time owner of a pathfinder. just a couple days ago i purchased a 99 pathfinder se 4x4. supposedly it has a 3" rancho lift. it also has 31/10.5x15 BFG all terrain tires as well as black crawler wheels i believe. everything else is stock.

I never been off roading and dont know anyone whos into off roading however i would like to try it some day as soon as i find an "off road buddy"

For the mean time i would like to get my pathy ready for when the time comes, but i need some help.

first what do ou think of my car?

in the current condition how capable is it off road?

what upgrades do you recommend??

please refer to things by the full name and or discription as i'm still learning the language asssociated with the off roading comunity.

thanks

ce746049.jpg

Edited by r50ny

You are ready as in the "hardware" is concerned. The first time on the trails, take it easy. Just keep the RPM's low and let the torque get you over the rocks. From your description, you basically have the same set up as I do. I've been through thick mud (please, don't go through thick mud) and over some "hairy rocks" in my 99.5.

Post some pics already! :popcorn:

Stock, you're already ready for offroad. When I first had my truck, I went out stock and I go through a lot of things and things I never thought possible. You should wheel your rig as much as you can because you will learn the limits of your truck and what you can do. A majority is the driver and a little bit the rig, so learn your rig. From the pictures, I can already tell you got a suspension lift, I assume Automotive Customizers (AC 2in lift). That suspension is really good, and have gotten me through everything I put my truck into. You're in good hands and saved a huge amount of money already.

Suggestions for offroad mods. Go for rock sliders ( big rock rails under the doors). This is the best bang for the buck and will save you a lot of damage. Other than that, shift that transfer lever down and let it rip!

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

x2 on saving the $$$. Your truck is set up pretty well. Reead up on how to do water crossings properly, because once that water goes into your air filter box thing, its curtains for your engine (look up pamountainbiker's thread, pretty sure this happened to him). Take a heavy duty strap with you to get towed out with, chains can break.

Welcome to the forum :new576:

Your Pathfinder looks good. The year might be off, or perhaps the previous owner put on a later years roof rack?

Ditto on "Enjois408" 's suggestion to install rocksliders. There are several companies which offer them for our SUV's. Some are simple bolt on, while others are not and need to be welded on.

I got the bolt on kind and installed them myself...if I can do it, ANYONE can. If I plan on offroading a bunch in the future I will have my sliders welded to the uni-body.

-Another modification suggestion: Aftermarket locking hubs. (I can't tell from your picture if you have aftermarket hubs or not). On a lifted Pathfinder it will save wear and tear on your front drive train bits. Might also save you some MPG.

I installed Warn hubs myself...if I can do it, ANYONE can.

• Like 1

X3 on some sliders, but my biggest bit of advice is to find an experienced local club. Good, patient spotters and folks with lots of extraction knowledge are worth more than any bolt on parts.

Oh yeah, take lots of pictures, they help you and the rest get through the non-wheeling months.

I have to agree with Enjoi408 and Der_Vier. The Pathfinder is very capable stock and off-roading is equal parts brains and truck capabilities. It really all depends on the terrain that excites you for your future modifications. Stay smart...go slow and have fun. If you want to keep the truck A1 invest in some protective armour underneath to guard your transmission etc. Some tow straps from Habour Freight might also be good to have...eventually everyone gets stuck at some point lol.

My only addition to what the guys have mentioned would be to get some extra lights. The stock lights are not that great and when I'm in the country I'm happy that I have my Hella 500 lighting the way. If you want advice on beam pattern feel free to reach out.

Welcome to the Club :)

thank you all for the great advice and tips. to answer your questions. yes its a 99.5 and in regards to rock sliders i can weld and i own a welder so thats no big deal and the lockinng hubs i was just gonna wait untill the stock ones go out to get the warn ones.

again i appreciate all the tips i feel much more confident and i like my car a lil more now that im starting to get familiar with it.

...and the lockinng hubs i was just gonna wait untill the stock ones go out to get the warn ones....

Its unlikely (but possible) that the stock hubs will fail.

It is more likely that the CV joints will fail on a lifted Pathfinder without manual hubs.

:welcome:

I have Mile Marker hubs on mine (AC 2" lift & 1" NX4 spacer), not only will they save you from "grenading" your cv joints they'll also increase your gas mileage by about 5mpg :itsallgood:

i guess i have to invest inn some after market hubs. which one is the best?

Warn hubs are the "best" but, if I were to do "it" "again" ... I'd just spring for the MM's. They have the same advantages over stock drive flanges as the higher priced Warn hubs. I'm just finding out that the fact that I can place quotation marks around certain words that make me feel better about paying more for what I "went" with.