vent selector switch broke

dkpath96

I went to turn my vent switch to the 'dash' position from the 'floor/defrost' position yesterday and it clunked and now it won't turn. It's fine going from 'defrost' to 'floor/defrost', but no other positions work - there is strong resistance in trying to turn the knob, which I don't want to force for fear of really breaking something.

Has anyone ever repaired this sort of thing?

I took the console cover off, removed the stereo, and got the control knob panel loose, but I can't get it out due to the heater selector cable being attached (not sure how to detach it).

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by dkpath96

Thanks, Towncivilian. I was able to find the side link and the cable. I can switch the selector to all positions only by assisting the side link with my hand (I can only get a few fingers inside the space between it and the ECU, and don't feel like removing the ECU...) It seems as though the knob can operate normally as I turn it clockwise, but going ccw, it jams up once I get to 'floor/def' and will not return to 'front' without my help. There must be a tension spring busted inside the heater unit or something. It will operate properly once or twice before jamming again, too, which is confusing. So I just rigged a wire to the side link so that when it jams I can just yank on it and get it back to the 'front' position...

Edited by dkpath96

Mine encounters a lot of resistance sometimes after not being switched to the defrost position for half an eternity, but I keep going and it eventually goes. I don't know how much resistance you're encountering so I'm not sure if yours is messed up, and I don't know what else to suggest to get it working properly. Sorry!

There's a little metal clip that connects the selector cable to the plastic body of the switch assembly. It had broken the plastic or fallen off. Pull the assembly out and zip tie the cable in to position.