? about starter relay mod

ahardb0dy

So as you all know I have been having problems with the reman starter I installed back in January. The starter when ever it feels like it will spin but not engage the flywheel. I just received my new starter but wanted to run something by you all.

When the starter just spins (like today when leaving work, first time it happened in over a week), I opened the hood and took the wire that goes to the solenoid off the relay I installed for the starter relay mod and touched it directly to the positive battery terminal, the starter engaged on the second try.

Was wondering if the starter not engaging may possibly be due to a bad or worn relay?? So far the few times the starter hasn't engaged and I did what I said above the starter worked fine.

What do you think??

It is possible that your relay has worn contacts and there's too much resistance for enough amperage to get to the starter solenoid. It's also possible there's too much resistance somewhere in the wiring of that circuit. It's also possible the starter solenoid is toast and requires WAY more amperage to fully cycle than any 'normal' circuit can carry.

Well I know power is getting through the stock starter relay and the added starter relay mod relay, as the starter always spins just the gear sometimes doesn't get pushed out. Was just wondering if it could be a problem somehow with the relay, as I said bypassing it seems to let the starter function normally. Could be as you said not enough amperage.

Going to install the new starter today or tomorrow, if the problem continues than may eliminate the starter relay mod all together and see what happens.