5 SPEED transmission oil amount (1995 V6 4x4)

zack1978

Hi everyone,

I need to change the transmission oil in my 5 SPD 1995 SE-V6 4x4 D21. Based upon reading the TSB from Nissan, the level is now 5.1 L up from 3.6 L. However when I check the Amsoil vehicle recommendation (which is always spot on) for my truck they claim that a 4x4 trans takes 7.6 pints. The basic issue is that 7.6 pints does not equal 5.1 L. What am I missing here? How much oil should the trans take, so as to ensure proper lubrication? I had the 5spd trans ruined in my 1995 WD-21, and I DO NOT want that to happen in my D21! At this point my D21 only has 9,200 miles on it so I don't want any damage.

Thanks,

Zack

PS- Here is the Amsoil link....I hope it works. http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=1995+NISSAN/DATSUN+PICKUP+G

You can't expect Amsoil to keep up with TSBs. They are quoting the owner's manual or factory service manual capacity, which is incorrect. Fill with 5.1L.

But the odd part is that it seems that Amsoil has kept up in some way with the TSB since they are not quoting the owners manual. If they were quoting the owners manual, they would have said 3.6 L.

Zack

7.6 pints equals 3.59614 liters, so they haven't caught on. An understandable error. Write to inform them (increased sales for same vehicle base) and maybe you can get your oil for free, just make sure it is 5 liters. The TSB goes up to 95, but the 96+ R50 uses the identical tranny with the exception of one thing, the fill hole is located higher up giving it a higher capacit. 5.1 liters is what they came up with for good reason, so that is what I used without issue when I had a 5 speed. It is not a pressurized system, so within reason, over fill doesn't matter and under fill=bearing starvation.

B

7.6 pints equals 3.59614 liters, so they haven't caught on. An understandable error. Write to inform them (increased sales for same vehicle base) and maybe you can get your oil for free, just make sure it is 5 liters. The TSB goes up to 95, but the 96+ R50 uses the identical tranny with the exception of one thing, the fill hole is located higher up giving it a higher capacit. 5.1 liters is what they came up with for good reason, so that is what I used without issue when I had a 5 speed. It is not a pressurized system, so within reason, over fill doesn't matter and under fill=bearing starvation.

B

Ok makes perfect sense now........

So the trans holds 10.8 pints which is 5 and 1/2 quarts.

Zack

• 2 weeks later...

I need to chime in here.... Me and the wife just got back from a road trip visiting the parents.... I had previously read that the manual tranny fluid was too low stock. I actually noticed excessive heat coming from my tranny while climbing the mountains of beautiful BC.

especially having to gear down to 4th to stay at 110kms/hr.

Soon as I got to my parents I dumped the oil that was in there and it came out like tar. I added 5.1L or 75w90 synthetic castrol gear oil..... holy moses what a difference. barely any heat now even gearing down on hills and if shifts smoother.

thanks for the tip about the extra oil and filing it through the shift lever.

you guys are legendary

Yes really! Most fluids nowadays, GL-5, have additives in them that destroy the brass baulk rings inside of the 30A transmissions these Pathfinders use. Any other fluid than GL-4 or equivalent will destroy it in fairly short order. Read: less than 5,000 miles.

It'll run you about 60 bucks for Redline MT90 but it needs to happen NOW. GM Syncromesh works well also.

Edited by Kingman

I knew about the gl-4 from all the other posts.... they did not have redline mtl.. i just 'assumed' what he said was a replacement and it was safe to use.

I changed it out this afternoon.... thanks again for saving me a grand.

Edited by banx

• 1 year later...

Really? Did you read this thread? :scratchhead:

In short, 5.1 liters of GL-4 ONLY conventional oil, or the same amount of suitable synthetic like Redline MT-90.

Please read all of this so you understand, and save yourself a lot of $ and grief.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/2621-manual-transmission-tsb/

B