To 285 or not to 285

TheCrow

Time to change my tires I have put on them 85,000 km and some of them have come bold .

I have noticed that the tires on my wife’s FJ still have 50% thread though I fixed them around the same time .

So I had this idea to fix the new set on her FJ and swap the old 285 / 75 / R16 to the pathfinder , since they will eventually get dry even before she consumes the thread .

I have done some trial as shown in the pic below but

Although the wheel of the FJ didn’t fit in on the Path but I managed to have a trial as shown below , and I was surprised with the much unexpected difference between the 285s and the 265 I already have on my Path , and noticed those two major points to deal with :

1. I have noticed was the strut tower can’t be cleared by the tire.

2. The tire will rub against the wheel well even when straight.

3. The weight difference between the 285 and the 265 .

I am thinking that I can get around it by adding to my OME lift 1.5” wheel spacers / 1” front strut spacers and 1” back coil spacers .

Have anyone had a similar set up ? with 285s BFG AT ? I am asking because I still have doubts whether they will fit

Your input is highy appreciated .

What an exhausting and dehydrating task to change the tire in a 50 Celsius and 80% humidity wont be doing that again soon

IMG01214-20120609-1808.jpg