Sudden loss in Power/Propulsion

Kmk2zf

So the last 2 days Ive come home from work my car has experienced a dramatic loss in power/propulsion and I have no idea what it could possibly be. Here are ssome things that I experience:

• Happened the last 2 days while driving home from work, issue possibly related to heat since it sat in the sun all day prior to it happening
  • Sudden loss in power/propulsion
  • Throttle response/engine response seems normal however, there is no power to the wheels
  • Feels like I am dragging a huge boulder
  • Acceleration seems limited, like the car or transmission is in survival mode and wont let me accelerate quickly
  • I don’t hear any noticeable noise or feel anything that stands out; just the loss of power/propulsion

Ive been told it could possibly be the transmission modulator but Im not really sure.

FYI, I have a 2004 Pathfinder SE 3.5L V6 and its got 84,xxx miles on it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you see anything like this when you look underneath?

carmattress3.jpg

As was said, start by checking the tranny fluid for level and cleaniless. Does the tranny act normally otherwise (when it shifts, how long it takes when put in gear, reverse)? Is the check engine light on? Was there any event when this started?

Also, you can go here and download the FSM that will tell you how to check the TCU.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/26616-factory-service-manuals/

B

If there were a transmission error code, it would flash the "O/D OFF" lamp at startup.

Follow these steps to properly check the transmission fluid level:

1. Drive around for 10 minutes in the city after the transmission is at operating temperature.

2. Park on a level surface and apply the parking brake.

3. With P selected, shift through every gear and return to P.

4. Pull the transmission dipstick with the engine idling, wipe it clean, reinsert it completely, and read the level. It must be within the notched area labeled "HOT". Check for fluid contamination after wiping on a paper towel.

R50ATdipstick.png

The fluid should be red, and not smell burnt.

Edited by Towncivilian

Yes its an Automatic. I checked the fluids and it seems fine. The loss of power/propulsion occurs in every gear. It takes a while for it to shift but I think that its only because the vehicle isnt traveling very fast its not like its stalling in between shifts just takes a while for it to reach the end of each gear. And there are no error code/check engine lights on.

I took it in this morning and hopefully they will know what the problem is soon. Thanks for all the help.

It's possible your TCU is in limp mode. Silverton's Pathy has done this several times wheeling due to "excessive wheelspin". When it goes into limp mode I think it actually stays in 3rd gear? The truck is seriously gutless when this happens, even in low range. The truck is a total dog going forward but normal in reverse when it happens. I'm sure there are other scenarios (other than wheelspin) that can put the TCU into limp mode.

Any word on it's condition?

Hey sorry its taken so long for me to respond. I got the truck back this past Friday and it is now running great. I talked to the mechanic and he said that there was 2 quarts too much transmission fluid in there and this was causing it to bubble up and give false reading to the sensors. I dont know how it got that way since I have never had any transmission work done on the car and its never done this before, but apparently all it needed was a transmission flush.

Thanks for all the advice.