Well....this was fun

Not criticizing, just thinking out loud, so to speak. Way more stress and strain than the vehicle and parts were ever designed to withstand, due to the larger tires and wheel spacers? Are any of the parts that we buy really any beefier than OEM? Mine isn't nearly as extreme as yours 01silvapathy, but I sort of expect to break something in the drive train or steering, both because of what I've done to it and where I now take it. Hard to tell by the pics, but did you bust your axle too?

seems you broke the shaft of the strut.That;s certainly not common.... was that done while the strut topped out ?? Obviously this first break cause the chain reaction for the control arm and half-shaft....

can;t wait to gear the whole story.....

sorry for your truck.... :-(

Swerved to miss a dog crossing the road and wound up hitting a drainage ditch curb at around 65mph....just about flipped her and i was scared silly at the time. The strut shaft literally snapped in half, the ball joint snapped in two and the tire was sitting on the lower control arm. The only thing that was keeping the tire attached to the truck was the brake line and the tie rod. As far as I can tell the rack and pinon is just fine just needs to be re adjusted and maybe a new bushing. Though I need a new strut, strut mount, ball joint e ct ect. The spring for the strut literally got jammed between the tire and the fender bending it to crap and making a terrible noise. Plus the fact that I was so angry at the time i got out and I started punching my fender....so now it has 3 big dents and I have a bruised hand :/ Oh well ya live and ya learn. Just glad it happened late at night and with nobody else around on the road or in the truck with me as things could have very well ended much much worse off.

Bummer about your ride, I'm glad you didn't get seriously hurt or worse though!

Edit: adding (but cerainley not meaning to grind salt into a Fresh wound)...there are few living things which I will swerve for, but every circumstance is different that's for sure!

I will swerve for people, moose, elk, horse, cow, brown bear-that's about it. Deer, I'll brake if I can, but not swerve.

Any non human smaller than grill height, I brake and hope for there survival. Again though every circumstance is different!

Edited by Camelfilter

So much for my theory, LOL, no vehicle is meant to hit a curb at 65mph. Glad you weren't hurt, or anybody else for that matter. I was really wanting to hear the story though of how you were simultaneously pulling 10 stuck Jeeps and Tacoma's up a 70 degree incline strewn with refrigerator sizes boulders, and then it broke.

Nobody was hurt (well besides the litlle bit of self inflicted, which is understandable) and pieces of the suspension are replaceable. I ain't gonna drone on about what 'coulda-shoulda', just gonna go with glad your unscathed and start turning some wrenches to put it back together :aok:

Plus the fact that I was so angry at the time i got out and I started punching my fender....so now it has 3 big dents and I have a bruised hand :/

I've got one of those from my second timing belt issue. I stopped at one dent though. :headwall: Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Damn!!

I'm glad you didn't roll it so just remember that the repair costs are far less than they could have been, or simply loss of your truck.

Yes, I will say it; next time just hit the dog. It's actually safer for you and the people around you and that is what really matters. Sure, you will feel bad and don't want to do it, but I know of people that have killed themselves trying to save an animal. As someone who killed a deer on the freeway on a motorcycle, I practice what I preach.

B

It was just my only reaction really, it was 10 30 at night and pitch black outside and all of a sudden you see something dart out in front of you can you swerve. Its the only thing that I could do really.

i hate to say it, but i would have swerved for the dog too, theyre very great animals...couldnt ever imagine hitting one, if someone ever ran my dog over id go bat s#!t crazy on whoever it was...second part, when i got this text my first reaction (regrettably) was "how much for your sfd" lmao

Well I should have the truck back tomorrow afternoon after about 1500 bucks of repairs which include Struts and mounts, ball joints cv axles tie rods and an alignment. Then I just need to try and work with the body damage once I get home. Maybe its just time to take the fenders off and throw on some 37's and ditch the front bumper for something else....

• Like 1

Well I should have the truck back tomorrow afternoon after about 1500 bucks of repairs which include Struts and mounts, ball joints cv axles tie rods and an alignment. Then I just need to try and work with the body damage once I get home. Maybe its just time to take the fenders off and throw on some 37's and ditch the front bumper for something else....

Sometimes things happen just to make you upgrade. Think about how nice she'll ride once you get her back. I'll echo @AzZo: you walked away and no one's hurt. That's a good day by comparison....

DO IT !!!!!!!!!http://http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z468/pamountianbiker/2b6830b7.jpg[/img]"]http://2b6830b7.jpgab374632.jpg Edited by PaMountianbiker

One more ride in 2 weeks and the IFS is coming off. The 37's don't fit very goo steering issues on the front and clearance issues on the rear . ALOT of cutting and I totally modified the rear fenders to make them fit.http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z468/pamountianbiker/9df8d7b6.jpg[/img]"]http://9df8d7b6.jpg

Edited by PaMountianbiker

Saw the truck this morning when I dropped off a cv axle for them since I had a warranty for it. The bumper damage is alot worse than I remember or maybe its just cause it was the first time I saw it in the day light. The front bumper is trashed and will need to be taken off....gives an excuse to make one I guess.