Clicking sound when turning the wheels.

onefast87

In the last 2 days i noticed a clicking sound when im turning the steering wheel. It happends when turning both sides.

I haven't got under the truck to look at it yet, but im wondering if you guys have any idea what it could be?

Clicking generally means they need to be replaced instead of just being rebooted. I'm surprised you hear it while in two wheel drive! I only hear mine click when I'm on the trail. You should also check the condition of your front hubs. If they are sticking and making the CV's turn in 2wd, you could pick up a MPG or three!

While the CV axles are disengaged in 2wd, they will still flex as you turn the wheels. Usually you would only hear them if they are rotating while turning but it's possible that they are clicking when turning without rotating.

I just had my CV axles replaced and I still have ticking in the front if I turn really sharp and go over bumps... I have no idea what it is.

Edited by BikerJared

• 2 weeks later...

some of the older trucks did not come with the caps on the steering stops, my 87 hardbody did not have them, later models they used the caps, still had to put grease on them though.