Trans hiccupping

AED1999

I have the 99LE, with auto-transmission. I am already at about 140k...and no problems yet, and its been running great.

Today, on a 80 mile ride, I passed a truck and probaly hit no more than 85. When I got back around 70MPH, the transmission started hiccupping, in that the RPMs shot up to around 4000, and it felt like overdrive was off

Did this for the next 10-15 miles. Sat for the day, drove it another 80, and no problem.

Any suggestions?

Edited by AED1999

Check the fluid level and condition following these instructions:

1. Drive around for 10 minutes in the city after the transmission is at operating temperature.

2. Park on a level surface and apply the parking brake.

3. With P selected, shift through every gear and return to P.

4. Pull the transmission dipstick with the engine idling, wipe it clean, reinsert it completely, and read the level. It must be within the notched area labeled "HOT". Check for fluid contamination after wiping on a paper towel.

R50ATdipstick.png

The fluid should be red, and not smell burnt.

How has the transmission fluid been maintained?

Edited by Towncivilian

Last weekend I had it in for an oil change...they cheked the fluids and all...but I did recheck, and all looked good. The transmission fluid was right where it should be and looked clean.

The only thing the oil shop tried to sell me on was a rear differential fluid flush..did not indicate there was a problem just recommended due to mileage.

No codes were thrown up on the display..I trurned everything (ac, radio) off and listened, but other than the high revs, and the engine bearing down, not much I could discern..the revs/rpms shot up..I turned on and off the OD to see if that mad a difference, and nothing unusual.

How has the fluid been maintained? Ever did a drain & fill, or a pan drop, or a complete fluid exchange? Not saying you should have done the latter two necessarily, just wondering if you've maintained the fluid at all.

The rear differential fluid is easy to change out yourself, it has drain and fill plugs. If you've got a front diff you'd want to do that too. Get Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil from Advance Auto Parts - order online and use discount codes then pick up in store for mucho savings. You'll need 3qt for the rear and 2qt for the front. A fluid pump would help immensely here. You may want to get a 13mm drain plug socket too to ease removal of the plugs; this drain plug socket set from Harbor Freight includes one. Be sure to use a 20% off coupon if you buy it. The torque spec is 43 - 87 ft lbs for both front & rear diff drain and fill plugs; if you need a torque wrench, the Harbor Freight coupon page I linked has a coupon for a $13.99 1/2" drive torque wrench; some magazines or Harbor Freight coupon papers have these on sale for $9.99.

Edited by Towncivilian

I had this happen quite often in my 2004 Pathy Chinook. I have the auto overdrive, with the button to turn it off.

Many times, when I was going up hill, it would kick down into 3rd, but then never go back to overdrive. I would rev at 3 to 4 thousand on the highway. The way I was fixing it, every time it did it, I would just click the button to turn the o/d off, then turn it back on and it would kick right back into overdrive.

I finally got around to getting it checked. The over drive on Pathy's is completely controlled by an electronic module. I changed out the module, and have had no problems since.