The end of my pathy....

fleurys

Well, I never thought I would one day write a post like this, but the time has come...

Last weekend was my testing for 2 of my products (lower links and rear spacers). I'm happy to report that they passed with flying colors, but other things on my truck did not :-)

Rust has made quite a number underneath my truck and this was the number 1 reason I decided to produce parts made in aluminum when I started making them....

So much so, that my shock tower on the passenger side separated in the trail. When this happened , it chopped my metal brake lines where they go from the junction block behind the front coil, to the engine bay. This was 15 km before the end of the trail with no road anywhere. Doing a trail in rocks with high climbing and descent with no brake was not funny.... Had to tie the truck from the rear diff to my buddy's front bumper and be a dead weight for the more extreme drops.... My links were really tested there...basically holding the whole truck...

On top of that brake, I snapped an half shaft in two like it was bandsaw cut and bent a tie-rod... After putting it back straight with the help of a winch, I ended up doing the next 2 days with 3 wheel drive and a slight bend in the steering hoping not to brake or bend the other tie rod...

In order to have the truck back to a level I would be ok with, It would need, half shaft, tie rods, new brake lines, new shock tower metal, rear bumper, front bumper, new front control arm (rusting away), exhaust system and probably more...

Since the truck is in need of so much love and money, I have decided to keep it only has a markup truck in order to make new products (like the third skidplate, and possibly a tougher tie-rod), but I'm not gonna use it anymore to offroad.

So I will be putting some stuff for sale (like hubs, tires, spacers, lockers, roof rack, cb, lights, etc..)

This is my second pathfinder, so we never know I might just find a 3rd one, but for now I will take a break in offroading and concentrate a bit more on part manufacturing and my new career....

Here's the last pictures of it last weekend.

http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/Marcjeeper/23-24%20juin%20trail%20camping%20Latuque/?start=all

https://picasaweb.google.com/jeanmichelrheault/056?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKbuz46g_e650wE&feat=directlink

Steve.

Damn, sorry to hear about all the trouble at once, but I understand your assessment. Keep your eyed peeled for a replacement and I bet you find something in no time. Best of luck.

BTW, what is the new career?

B

haha... You are very kind.. but I will take a back seat of offroading for a bit as I have way too much on my plate for now....

B, as for the new career , I have quit my job as an international IT director and decided to change my life at 42.... yeah quite a change... I now take care of pretty much all office work and 3d designs for a metal shop just near my house... So no more around the world trip for me and more family life... I love it, but the adjustment is a bit rough at times... I,m getting there...

Until I post more pictures, here the video of me doing a 41 degrees climb with loose rocks.... This was the first climb of the weekend and this is where I broke my half-shaft and bent my tie-tod. You have to take into account that except for the guy with the TJ running on 40's (witha dana60 and rcv shafts) that made it to the top, I'm the only one that got up there... The mistake I made was to keep it floored when I fell on the right side.... At that point the right front wheel got snaged in a rut and was immobilized by the weight of the truck... so something had to give as I was not letting go (adrenalin rush !!).... You can hear it snap at the end when the truck moves quickly on the right side near the top....

[media=]

[/media]

and here's one I could not do by myself in 3wheel drive (locked 3wheel drive)

[media=]

[/media]

:-)

Edited by fleurys

one more video.... .. This a video about the 2 days, so you will see all the trucks in that trip. You have a jk rubicon 4dr on 35'', a red tj on 35'' and another tj on 40''...all locked on all 4. The sand climb was attempted on 2 wheel drive on my part.... I had enough motor..just not enough traction...

You can see a good descent where I had no brake except for the rear hand brake which was not helping alot.... This was near the end of the trail...

Enjoy the last moment of my pathy as a trail machine.... She will now live as a grocery getter ...:-(

S.

Sad to hear about it Steve , I have always admired your truck .

Looking at the other full half of the cup , you are still in production :)

I understand you about being away from off road , i have been away myself for the last year , but there is always an inner voice calling to hit the dirt , and at the first oppoertunity i shall , and hopefully will see you wheeling again .

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks man but I understand...my WD has a long time before it sees a trail again...its sitting on jackstands in the garage with no rear suspension and no front axle awaiting 4 link and SAS but between work, family and a new house its gonna be a while

Good luck on everything

Thanks everyone for the good words........and actually....... I could not resign my self of having a front and back arb locked truck with brand new tires just sitting there for groceries or worst being stripped for parts.... So after the initial shock and discouragement, I have decided to bring it back to life.... But obviously, it will take time... So having said that, I have decided to not give me any due date, so no pressure for me.... I now work in a metal fab shop, so I'm gonna use the facility that is offered to me and patch the strut tower and redo the brake lines etc.... I have too much on this truck to let it go for this... so one bit at a time, I might just get it back on it's legs and climb again :-)

S.

• Like 3

That's the way... :aok:

You have the ability, you just need the space, time and affordable parts. It'll all come together quite well if you want it to. As I machinist, I know this well... :D

B

• 3 months later...

Well... After many months with the truck sitting on jacks, many dollars and many hours, the truck is back on it's feet <wheels> and I couldn't be happier. I guess my first reaction was one of discouragement and being tired of having just too many things to do in a day.... With the help of friends, The truck is now repaired, has 2 new SS braided brake lines and a re-enforced shock tower which is patched with 1/8th sheet metal.

I have included some pictures of the work that has been done and also one of the half-shaft that I broke in the climb of the last trail. I have now received my rockford boots and will be replacing the half-shaft tomorrow... just in time for winter that is coming slowly but surely.

In this picture you cannot see the issue, but the brake line cut right behind the junction box (square thing) when the shock tower separated.

IMG_0120.jpg

Here's my half shaft after the break... nice clean cut :-)

IMG_0123.jpg

suspension removed, hole made bigger to clean everything. I decided to not reinstall the junction box and bypass it altogether... I then replaced my first brake line that goes to the ABS controller up in the engine bay,

IMG_0128.jpg

Here you see the second line done (that goes just behind the tower shock, and all the surrounding metal cleaned.

IMG_0133.jpg

Right after the plate is welded and some rubberized undercoat is applied. We have also straightened the tower shock as it had shifter a bit...

IMG_0135.jpg

Now with everything back on, rubber grommets on the holes where the lines go through and also a <thing> that keeps the line close to the shock tower wall so it does not get caught in the coil spring.. A good alignement and the truck is operational..

IMG_0174.jpg

I will probably keep low until next season with it.. I need it for the winter as my diesel VW is not a good vehicle for this kind of weather.... Seems me and pathy are gonna be together a bit more :happy:

• Like 1