The elusive sunroof shade

Trogdor636

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

So here's a related question. If the X shade fits the WD21 sunroof, will a 2000 X sunroof fit a 1990 WD21 roof opening? :shrug:

There's an X at the JY that I pulled the roof rack off of today with a perfect sunroof and seal (no shade, but I already have that). There isn't a WD21 with a sunroof in the yard for me to experiment with, so I'm throwing this out to the brain trust. :beer:

Edited by xterra

So here's a related question. If the X shade fits the WD21 sunroof, will a 2000 X sunroof fit a 1990 WD21 roof opening? :shrug:

There's an X at the JY that I pulled the roof rack off of today with a perfect sunroof and seal (no shade, but I already have that). There isn't a WD21 with a sunroof in the yard for me to experiment with, so I'm throwing this out to the brain trust. :beer:

Fwiw I ain't sure about the hinges/latch but on mine the seal was bad and in typical cheap nunya form I removed the seal from a frontier (someone took the match before hand and I wasn't paying for the whole glass if I didn't need it all and wasn't sure. Figured I could eat a couple bucks better than the whole cost). Warm sunny day, patience, and a little dish soap and the gasket fit the glass for mine.

Fwiw I ain't sure about the hinges/latch but on mine the seal was bad and in typical cheap nunya form I removed the seal from a frontier (someone took the match before hand and I wasn't paying for the whole glass if I didn't need it all and wasn't sure. Figured I could eat a couple bucks better than the whole cost). Warm sunny day, patience, and a little dish soap and the gasket fit the glass for mine.

Thanks Nunya. That may be worth a shot. I already tried replacing the seal (or "protector" as Nissan calls it) with a new one from Nissan. I had to cut and scrape to get the old one off, and the new one was anything but a tight fit. I had to use weatherstripping adhesive and it looks like crap.

I did some more digging after I posted last night, and the P/N for the Xterra sunroof is the same as for the '94-'95 Pathfinders. Which then begs the question, what's different between them and the '87-'93 version?

I think the screw in things for the shade changed in late 94/early 95. Some are threaded while others are a half turn click in type thing like the xterra.

The tint on the xterra glass is much nicer. I am tempted to find one and swap it in to mine.

I can confirm that an WD22 Xterra sunroof is a direct physical fit to the WD21 Pathfinder sunroof opening. :jig: The X sunroof didn't have the latch anymore, but that was two screws and 5 minutes to swap over.

From what I can tell, the biggest difference is that the X sunshade holder has cam connectors instead of screw connectors, like Adamzan mentioned. (I already had a sunshade with cam connectors that I got a few weeks ago that I was going offer up here, but I didn't notice the fiberboard backing was pretty badly damaged. I just swapped over the connectors and and the original fit perfect.)

Other minor differences are that there's more of the black paint around the edge and the dot pattern is different, but that's about it.