Difference between OEM brush guard and grill guard

jwblue

I Googled this and a lot of vendors seem to refer to a brush guard and grill guard as the same thing.

I know Nissan offered each of these as an OEM accessory so they must be different.

Is the brush guard a metal piece that goes underneath the front of the truck?

Is the OEM brush guard tubular or just a piece of metal?

Is the grill guard what goes in front of the vehicle that protects only the headlights and grill?

On a tangent. I have the accessories pamphlet for the 94 PF. Believe it or not, there was an OEM winch.

Does anyone have one?

I wonder if that thing worked well.

Edited by jwblue

There was an oem setup warn winch brush guard that I've seen once or twice in pics... that was all. Look just like any other brush guard but is built stronger and has a winch bucket. Ill see if I can find it...

A brush guard and grille guard are the same thing, back in the day when every company and their brother was making grille guards a lot of them offered separately the headlight loops that bolt to the grille guard to protect the headlights. Later on some companies such as Manik, Smittybilt as well as others started to offer one piece grille guards with the wrap around hoops. It was a lot easier to install the one piece units.

Nissan had a modular grille guard available as an accessory, modular meaning it bolted together compared to units from the aftermarket that were welded together. Nissan also offered the hoops that would bolt to the factory grille guard.

I had seen a Nissan pickup at a show one time in NY (Javit center I think), and it had the factory grille guard, I was impressed with how well it mounted, you could grab that top bar and move the whole truck. Later I bought one for my 87 hardbody.

This one:

33b0chy.jpg

Here is one with the hoops on a pathfinder that is at an LKQ junkyard in Clearwater Florida:

vh3k7n.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Sorry about that, Nissan may refer to them as 2 different parts but most aftermarket a grille guard and brush guard usually refer to the same thing.

So per your question and as to Nissan OEM, a grille guard is the part that protects the grille and the brush guard would be the hoops that mount to the grille guard and protect the headlights.

Also per your question, Nissan offered the grille guard/brush guards in tubular and flat steel, my previous pics show the tubular ones here is the flat style that was an option on the Hardbody:

153tki9.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Off topic:

I don't know why all the LKQ's don't post pics of the cars/trucks they put in their yards, the one near me just puts out a list on craigslist but the West coast LKQ's all post pics.

There were several brush/grille guards that were optional. From what I know "brush guard" means it "protects" the lights also, and grille guard just "protects" the grille. Generally a brush guard is part of a grille guard. As far as winch mounts go, I have seen pictures of a variety of guards that had a winch plate, and personally owned a factory guard that had a winch plate (no winch unfortunately). Incidentally, the winch that came from the factory was a 6000lber.

To clarify.

Nissan offered a grill guard and brush guard separately.

That was why I was asking the difference.

Yes that is correct, Nissan offered them as seperate parts back in the day.

The Grill Guard is the center piece that mounts to the vehicle frame and has two tabs for mounting fog/driving lights. Last time I checked there were a few left at the main warehouse but they are discontinued by Nissan and when they are gone they are gone.

The Brush Guard is the set of two 'hoops' on each end that mount to the Grille Guard. They are also discontinued and no longer available.

Yes that is correct, Nissan offered them as seperate parts back in the day.

The Grill Guard is the center piece that mounts to the vehicle frame and has two tabs for mounting fog/driving lights. Last time I checked there were a few left at the main warehouse but they are discontinued by Nissan and when they are gone they are gone.

The Brush Guard is the set of two 'hoops' on each end that mount to the Grille Guard. They are also discontinued and no longer available.

What does Nissan charge for those parts? With the brush guard, obviously of curiosity out of course since they are no longer available.

Edited by jwblue

I don't recall paying that much for mine back in 87 but The parts manager and his brother were pretty good to me, they probably gave it to me at 20% off cost, as that is what I usually paid for parts. Even now living in Florida I call another dealer back home in NY and the parts manager will still give me the same price break.

$320.00 was MSRP..........

What was MSRP for the tow hitch?

Did Nissan sell Nissan banded all weather floor mats for the 1994?

• 10 months later...

sorry to bump an old thread, but instead of starting a new one.. could anyone confirm this brushguard being oem nissan?

i plan to purchase but i cant find any good pics that prove it. i swear ive seen it before in a magazine ad or something online

http://i48.tinypic.com/153tki9.jpg

3K13M63Je5Gf5F55H6d3u5b38b8ab14c9188c.jp

3Gf3J53N25G65H35Mcd3u9083c418e5d717ea.jp

Edited by sicnis