V8 pathy swap

I knew a guy way back that swapped a V8 into his hardbody, one thing to consider with a Chevy engine the distributor is in the rear of the manifold (older engines anyway, no idea on newer ones) and you have to reshape the firewall slightly to allow it clearance. On a Ford engine the distributor is in the front so no clearance issue.

except Ford engines are some terrible-ness.

When Tungsten said "I doubt a stock 350 engine could put out 300hp", I was about to say "this ain't no Ford BS"

Even Ford's modern 5.0 (except new Mustangs, which they must have done some spooky magic on) only make like 230hp. Just last year, 2011 Lincolns with the 5.0 only had 230hp. Talk about some junk engines. Not even to mention the fact that reliability doesn't exist.

And then the new Toyota CAMRY (yes, the 4-door family car), can put out 270hp with an itty bitty V6. A family car.

Must I forget, that in 2003, Honda was pumping 240hp out of a 2.3l inline4? So...Honda = 240hp with 4 cylinders... Ford=230hp with 8 cylinders.

Ford, you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1

Ok, Tungsten, 1994sev6... Your both idiots. Really. You can not believe what wikipedia has on it. In 1970, the camaro Z28 had a LT1 350 with solid lifters. It was rated at 360hp, the corvette had the same motor, but it was rated at 370hp. GM doesnt let any other gm car/truck have more rated HP/TQ then there Corvette. Well it happen once, with the Buick GNX. The 'vette was rated at 270 and the GNX was at 275...

Stock replacment 350s have 265hp and 335lbs. With truck cams and junk intakes on 87 octane. A cam swap and better intake will give it 300hp or better.

Chevrolet made so many different 350's over the years with some over 300 HP, no a stock 350 from a pickup/van isn't going to have 300 HP but, camaro's, chevelles, corvettes could be at 300 or more,

Yep...

What did I say that was wrong? A stock run of the mill 350 doesn't make 300 hp. Expensive parts will push it past that. :shrug:

Posting crap from wikipedia... you should know better.

And I do believe that you are referring to the 4.6 mod v8 which made 239 hp and 290lbs, 1994sev6. Which while having 3 valves it still a 20 year old motor.

Why are you guys saying a bunch of dumb stuff? "a 350 out of a TRUCK/VAN won't make 300hp"

Why the hell would you ever do an engine swap out of a truck??? Truck engines are tuned completely differently. not for performance

"oh well, yeah, of course the camaros and corvettes and CARS will make 300hp+"

NO @!*%!!!!!!!! That's why you want an engine out of one of the CARS because it's tuned for PERFORMANCE

I was just saying you wouldn't normally find a 350 from a truck making 300 HP, but, one of the 4 wheeling magazines just did an article on saving money by getting a used engine from the junkyard, they specifically said not to overlook the chevy 350's that are found in vans because some of them have the better vortec heads. And what's wrong with a truck engine going into another truck? Would you rather have a 1000 HP engine that revs to 8000 and you would never use it to it's capability off road or an engine that is high in torque? As was stated already engine choice depends on the intended use of the vehicle. If the Op was planning on drag racing his pathfinder than I would suggest to start with a high HP engine out of a car, but if he wants more power than stock for a daily driver some 4 wheeling I don't see why a truck engine stock or lightly modified wouldn't be ok.

Tungsten is who started the whole hp for a stock 350, I'm sure anyone who is going to swap a 350 into anything is not going to leave it stock.

And I don't agree with the statement that " A stock run of the mill 350 doesn't make 300 hp. Expensive parts will push it past that"

Chevy engines are probably the cheapest engines to modify, you can get a package from Summit racing that includes, an aluminum Intake Manifold, 600 CFM Carburetor, Air Cleaner, Fuel Line, Gaskets, Bolts for $422 I don't think that is so expensive for what your getting.

I will admit I'm not an expert on Chevy engines so 1994SEV6 correct me if this is wrong.

If you want a true performance 350 that will go more than 50 miles by itself, you need to build one from the ground up. If you want to make more than 300 HP, you are going to have to re-machine every surface of it. That is what costs money. Then you can apply all the fancy parts on it from Summit racing. In stock form, a small block Chevy is a complete piece of garbage and trying to get power out of it will not have good results.

Why are you guys saying a bunch of dumb stuff? "a 350 out of a TRUCK/VAN won't make 300hp"

Why the hell would you ever do an engine swap out of a truck??? Truck engines are tuned completely differently. not for performance

"oh well, yeah, of course the camaros and corvettes and CARS will make 300hp+"

NO @!*%!!!!!!!! That's why you want an engine out of one of the CARS because it's tuned for PERFORMANCE

If you want a true performance 350 that will go more than 50 miles by itself, you need to build one from the ground up. If you want to make more than 300 HP, you are going to have to re-machine every surface of it. That is what costs money. Then you can apply all the fancy parts on it from Summit racing. In stock form, a small block Chevy is a complete piece of garbage and trying to get power out of it will not have good results.

Both of you, I'll put it as nicly as I can. Shut up, stop jacking somebuddy else's thread for your childish bs pissing contest. If you want to keep going take it to PM's or the off topic section.

Ahardbody, you are correct. I actually just read the article (fourwheeler) and I gotta agree with everything it in (well besides the mazda rotory motor at the end)

SBC,'s are known for going 250k while being beat. I should know, I have one that is about to tun 267k. They were built so the average person could work on them, you can rebuild them on the side of the road if you have too.

And you ever watch dirt track/ enduro races? Most of those cars run 383s that are built in peoples basements/ garages and they make 4-500hp with junk parts.

Have a nice day

-Sal.

O.P. sorry for going off topic and if I instigated anyone, back on topic,

I know years ago Advance Adapters used to make adapters to put Chevy V6 (maybe V8) engines into the Nissan, just looked on their web site and did not see anything, you could send them an e-mail or call to see if they still sell anything. I think at the time when they had these parts it was pre V6 days. But like most aftermarket manufacturers parts for the Nissan's are disappearing rapidly.

The shop I used to work for swapped a 4.3 into a 720 Nissan pickup with Chevy tranny , but that was years ago and I don't remember many details from the swap other than I know we swapped the axle gear ratio to more closely match the engines RPM range, I wasn't involved in the job, I mainly mounted tires and worked the counter.

"780 CFM Holley four-barrel CARBURETOR on a special aluminum intake"..."rated at 370 bhp in early Corvette sales literature, but actually only sold as 360 bhp version at 6000 rpm and 380 lb-ft at 4000[7] (the NHRA rated it at 425 hp for classification purposes).

Just stop now. Please, for your own good. You're very wrong about this. I know older GM engines very well.

Even if he's wrong you come across as very pompous, pretty much all over this forum... You must be the smartest 17 year old in the world.