Transmissions

I am trying to figure out what differences there are in transmission between the 96-00 pathfinders and the 01-04 ones with the 3.5 engine. As far as I know the transmissions are the same but the transfer cases are different. I have a 98 with a manual. Would the transmission say out of a 01 or 02 be the same?

All R50s have the RE4R01A transmission. 01-04 have the HD variant of this transmission. The bellhousing is different between the engines so a 01+ trans won't fit your 98.

The part time transfer case is identical on 01+ to the 96-00 tcase I believe.

IMAG0269.jpg

Found this in my Chiltons manual. Both look exactly the same just the bolt lengths one a couple bolts are different. There is also a image of a second 3.5 transmission which is different. So maybe just the automatics are different. Because when you shop for a 3.5 motor there is a different motor code.

• 2 weeks later...

the vg33 transfer is indeed identical to the vq35 transfer case, i have a vg33 manual transfer on a vq35de auto transmission on a 2wd pathfinder, much of what nissan does can be crossed over to several vehicles and work very very well, the only difference i found was the speedo pinion in the transfer...i wasnt sure if it was different because i didnt have one to compare it to