What the hell was that!

JamesRich

I'm trying to figure out what I saw yesterday leaving work. I was on my bike so I couldn't get any pictures. It was a fairly new 4X4 vehicle that looked like a small 2 door car with huge fender. Sounded like a tiny motor when they took off. The axles were wider than the car, that’s where the huge fenders came in. From the back it looked like a hatch back with a spare tire compartment molded into the hatch from the inside. It had what looked like a factory CB antenna mount on the round molded section.

I know that’s not much to go on but I have never seen anything like this before. It almost looked built but I could tell it was a factory produced vehicle. Or someone did a really good job! It was at least a few years old because it had Moab stickers from 2010 on the back glass. I believe it had a Louisiana plate so they must like to travel. It have what looked like street tread tires on it but really big for the size of the vehicle. I couldn't find one badge on it to try to determine what it was they were haulin ass when the light changed and it's got me very curious. From the side it looked like an old 2 door honda civic hatch back with really big fenders.

James

Vehicross was one of those vehicles that comes a long everyonce in awhile and is in a way ahead of its time with styling nad features.....and suffered accordingly. Low production numbers (4153 total made for the US) and no advertising didnt help either. If IIsuzu had a better market presence and wasnt on the edge of pulling out of the US market this would have been a car you see more.

It is really a neat and impressive vehicle. I have thought about getting one twice.....lack of parts availability makes me pull back to reality everytime.....

The Isuzu VehiCROSS is a compact SUV from Isuzu. Produced from 1997 (Japanese market 1997-1999) through 2001 (US market 1999-2001), it shares much of its components with the Trooper, including both its 3.2 L and 3.5 L V6 engine that produces 215 bhp (160 kW; 218 PS) at 5400 rpm and 230 lb·ft (312 N·m) at 3000 rpm of torque. The vehicle also features the Torque on Demand (TOD) 4-wheel-drive system produced by BorgWarner. It is a small, sporty 2-door crossover vehicle with aggressive external styling, including short overhangs, an aggressive forward stance, titanium "teeth" in the grille, a black hood-insert, and black plastic cladding over the entire lower half of the vehicle. The US VehiCROSS came equipped with 16" polished wheels in 1999 and 18" chrome wheels during the remainder of production. The Japanese version came equipped with 16" alloys with chrome center caps.

The VehiCROSS was highly regarded for its cross-terrain performance. It combined a computer-controlled AWD system for on-road driving and a locked-differential low-gear 4WD system for off-road driving. The Japanese version offered a 2WD non TOD or 4WD TOD option. The US-only constant 4WD TOD, with 12 independent sensors for detecting wheel spin and capable of redirecting power to the wheels with the most traction, gives the VehiCROSS a high level of traction on wet and icy roads. It also has a high level of performance for its height. While possessing on-road nimbleness, its body-on-frame truck construction, suspension and 4WD gearing make it very capable off-road.

Yeah they are kinda cool. I've never looked into getting once, but I have left that option open. But before I would, more research would have to happen... for some of the same reasons mentioned in the prior post ;)

That’s it! I had never seen one before, not even a commercial. Course I hardly ever watch TV. I searched kia and hyundai but never thought about isusu. It was really cool looking but really small. Didn't look like it could carry much gear, course neither does a jeep. With its wide stance and short wheel base it should be capable off road. It was a girl driving it, I would have liked to talk to her. With the Moab stickers on the back she apparently likes off roading if she drives that far to do it.

James

Not good pics, just found it funny that I have not seen one in weeks and today I did.

tackvcross1.jpg

tackvcross2.jpg

I used to see a diferent one several times a month but have not seen it in a while now. The one in the pics, I've never noticed it before.

• 1 year later...

Yea I kinda feel the same way about Monteros...I like them, like..more than I want to admit..I really like the newer model Montero Sports...but Mitsubishi scares me, I don't feel like I could ever be comfortable in relying on it. The Montero, like with the 3000GT they were incredibly innovative, (maybe a little too much?) and over complicated...the 4wd selection system in those things was crazy, almost like they were competing with one or both of the big well known British safari 4x4 vehicles. The only thing that scares me more than a Mitsubishi though, is an Isuzu...and that's also sad because I have a feeling the old school Troopers were pretty great. If you gave me an Isuzu Rodeo...hmmm...I'd treat it like a welcomed house guest: Treat it nicely with little involvement until I can get rid of it with as little investment as possible. If you were to give me an old school Trooper or Montero, I'd treat it like a semi attractive arranged marriage wife I've just met...with optimistic caution.

I remember my friend's '90 Trooper, it certainly was no trooper! Complicated EFI, never ran right, always broke, yikes I loathed working on that thing. Which was a lot. Crappy thing about Montero Sports is you cannot find parts for them! A heater core for one? Good luck...

The 3000GT is a Dodge Stealth and visa-versa, so not too bad. I actually like the 3000GTs. A Rodeo is a Honda Passport and visa-versa with a GM 3.5L V6 that will clatter to the end of time...

Those are cool vehicles, but I hate that they're automatic-only. Put a stick shift in that thing and it would probably sitting in my driveway.

Oh, and nice thread resurrection, btw. :laugh:

See alot of those down in California, LA area. Some in Oregon and Washington. Few out in salt lake area also, we never have seen them east of Colorado though. They are out there if you wanted one really bad, would be just cool to have in the stable though.