Freeing a stuck vehicle

Darek

Recently I was pulling out a car stuck in a mud. Our rear towing hooks were connected with rope.

Other guys said that if I was stuck then it wouldn't be safe to pull me out by pulling front holt (little hook).

So I want to ask if it is safe to pull out Pathfinder by front hook (that with RH only sign)? And what does "RH only" mean?

stuck.JPG

That is what the RH hook is designed for, it says it right in the pic you posted, I've seen hooks that have broken but as long as you don't try to pull something crazy it should be fine.

"RH only " It means what it says, LH is a tie down only not for towing

Not sure about the r50 but on the wd21 the front hooks are fine for recovery. Basically if you aren't sure loom to see if What your trying to pull with connects to the frame or "frame" for unibodys and the size of the fasteners and quantity of them...the Wd21 is like 2 13 mm bolts into the frame in lkne...the shear strength on that is a lot so its a good pulling point.

Don't ever pull with suspension parts or axles as this can mess things up...that said I was snatched 4 times pretty hard to get me out with chains around the rear axle BC i had no other points to grab from on my 95 and I got lucky and didn't break or bend anything

Those hooks are not meant to be pulled from. Those hooks are meant for tie downs when the vehicle is being towed (as in on a roll back or a multiple car hauler). They were not meant for the shock load or the multiplied load of pulling out a stuck vehicle.

That being said, I have used those before to pull myself out (and others) and they worked fine, just bent up a little. Nissan has to put a disclaimer on it because it was not designed for that use.

Ahhh the stories that could be told of ripping portions of the uni body out from under my old XJ... haha.

On topic, lightly pulling is okay, but ultimately its something that needs positive reinforcement, you really need to talk nice to it to keep it doing its job... Heheh.