Wheels lock up when turning over 50%

I'm a newbie and searched the forums for an answer, hopefully i'm not overlooking it.

I have an '87 pathfinder V6/ 5 speed. I recently put new brake pads on the front discs, and new shocks (kyb gas-a-just) all around. I'm maybe a 3 or 4 on mechanics knowledge so this work is about my skill limit right now, also pardon if I overlook or explain something incorrectly below.

The ride was fine after I finished but when I turned back into the driveway the turn felt laborerd and the wheels came to a stop (only going ~2mph) like the locked up. I could gas through it but it sure doesn't feel right. The issue occurs when you turn over ~50% in either direction.

My girlfriend drove it the other day and said she could hardly get it turn to park so she dropped it off at a garage mechanic I know. He said when he got it it was completely seized up, wouldn't roll down an incline in neutral even with the wheels straight. I'd never experienced this and it sounded strange. He said he bled the brakes adjusted the pedal linkage and and greased everything on the front brakes. I picked it up that night and it rolls fine going straight but still has the problem when it turns. I heard a slight grind from the right front pulling into the driveway this last time. I called him back and said the problem was still there, he said its normal on a hard turn because the 4wheel drive can affect but this wasn't that hard of a turn, and after 12yrs of driving her I know somethings off. I told him I would take a look at get back to him.

Any one have ideas or suggestions on what to it could be or what I should check?

thanks, and much appreciate the other info found.

Yeah, 4x4 shouldn't affect it when you're turning sharply, on-road... mainly because it shouldn't be in 4x4 on-road! If it's in 4x4 it's winding up the front diff against the rear diff, building up torque until something (usually traction, but sometimes a hub, and sometimes the transfer case) gives/breaks. When it's wound up it'll have crazy high friction, which could account for it failing to roll downhill. There's no central differential or coupling in these, so the wheels have to slip a little in 4x4 when you go around corners. (Unless the tension is released, it'll still bind when going straight.) Assuming your transfer case and hubs are working right, the 4x4 system does absolutely nothing when it isn't engaged. The CV axles shouldn't even be spinning.

The T-case lever should be all the way forward, and the light (square dash has a 4x4 light, right?) should be off. You can also jack up the front end and see if you can spin the wheels. Both fronts should spin freely in either direction. While it's up, check and see if the transfer case shift linkage is buggered, that could be keeping it in 4x4 no matter where the lever is. (Never heard of one failing though.)

If it's not in 4x, then I don't know anything... sorry. :D

It is 4x4, however my light doesn't work, so hopefully the 4x4 shifter didn't get moved into gear. I was told a while back by my mechanic that a sping was broken in one of the hubs so he disengaged the 4x4 or it wouldn't engage until that was repaired. So I have no light to rely if in fact the 4wheel is still functional and can be engaged. I'll lift if up and check how the wheels spin with the T-Case lever forward (which I hope is where it currently is) and in different positions and see if anything changes.

thanks for the input.

Turns out it had been shifted into 4x4. Looking like a real novice for not checking that off the bat but at least I found the issue, thanks for input. Now the question is did anything get screwed up from it being on the freeway in 4 wheel drive. ...sonofa

While you probably didn't do it any favors, it's most likely fine. I'd keep an ear out for funny noises, maybe check the diff fluids, but unless it's making snapping crunching godawful noises I'd say don't worry about it. :)